Server bandwidth

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

Server bandwidth

Post by DanTheMan »

I just posted this on the F1R forum, but I think some people here might find it interesting too.

---[snip]---

Just a little F1 2002 network trivia. Nothing important, but someone might be interested...

As everyone knows, the network code in F1 2002 has a lot of bugs and shortcomings. This was once again evident in tonights race where people got lagged out of the race (AndyVG for example).

Since I had nothing better to do during the race (I raced last night, and just served the race today) I decided to take a look at the server bandwidth usage as reported by my firewall (a separate computer, Pentium 166 MMX with 64MB memory and two old 3COM 10Mbit ISA cards running FreeBSD 4.7-RELENG). Despite the slow CPU the computer handles both NAT and Firewall for my 2Mbit connection just fine.

Before the race I asked everyone to make sure they were using the "Modem 56K" connection in F1 2002. Below is a picture of the measured traffic using the trafshow utility in FreeBSD (in the ports tree). As you can see the server is transmitting data at about 6kByte/s to each client, and the clients are transmitting just over 1kByte/s each to the server. The data rate does not seem to change much regardless of how many clients there are.

The point I'm trying to make: Even though everyone was using "Modem 56K", the server was pushing out data at a rate that would overwhelm most 56k connections.

Also, for people running servers it might be interesting to know how much upstream bandwidth they need in order to provide a lag-less experience.

/Daniel

---[snip]---
Attachments
Server bandwidth usage
Server bandwidth usage
bandwidth.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Move over!!!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

(this message is also posted at F1Racing forum).

I see I'm on top, Is that good or bad?

I didn't used the 56Kmodum selection (sorry I didn't knew that..).
I selected it on Cable (I think that's why I'm on top).

At the NAR race (malaysia) I select 56Kmodum (it's now default).

I'm sorry that there was lag because of me

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT