Server downtime

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

Server downtime

Post by DanTheMan »

I am going to upgrade the web server this weekend, making the NAR forums unavailable for up to 6 hours (more likely 1 hour, but you never know). The exact time of the upgrade has still not been decided, but Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon (CET) are most likely.

Old server:
Celeron 300MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 3GB IDE system disk

New server:
Dual Pentium3 700MHz, 1GB SDRAM ECC, 9GB 10k rpm U2W SCSI system disk (with an identical disk as mirror)

Both machines are running FreeBSD 4.7-RELENG, Apache 1.3.27, mod_php4, phpBB2 and MySQL 3.23. They are also running a bunch of other applications, including VPN, NAT, firewall (ipfw) and file sharing using samba and NFS.
Last edited by DanTheMan on 26 Jan 2003, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Move over!!!
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

Well, the server has been upgraded (replaced) and everything is running smooth again. Unfortunately an internet worm attack (DDoS using MS SQL) took out my dynamic DNS provider (No-IP), so the server has been unavailable for most of the day even though it was only powered down for approximately 90 minutes.

/Sysadmin with a powerslide
Move over!!!
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

Well, the server took a nose dive at 16.30 CET (4.30pm CET, 10.30am EST) today and stopped responding to network events. This effectively took down the forums.

I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened, but I have a few ideas that I'm investigating right now. The prime suspect is the code that mounts Windows shares in the Unix file system (SMBfs). The server is acting as a workgroup file server for a few local clients, and I have recently experimented with creating a huge virtual filesystem consisting of local filesystems and remote NFS and SMB filesystems. Maybe the SMBfs code triggered a bug in FreeBSD that stopped it from responding.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi

Post by Flow »

Spam posting? :shock: lol
NAR.F1 driver
killahead
NAR founder

Post by killahead »

Hah :mrgreen:

is it possible to have a name like that and still be a geust? Aparently it is.....but I don't think I ever saw it before....?
"I saw a red light and chose to stop, someone else saw a red light and chose not to," / Kimi Räikkönen
noob1234

Post by noob1234 »

Don't look now.. but I think the forum is haunted :wink: *hums the twilight zone theme*
-"Winning is like a drug...I can't settle for second or third in no circumstances whatsoever"
(Ayrton Senna)
killahead
NAR founder

Post by killahead »

heheh :mrgreen:

*edit* deleted the latest spam post

This thread is haunted....how cool is that :shock:
"I saw a red light and chose to stop, someone else saw a red light and chose not to," / Kimi Räikkönen

Post by Guest »

killahead wrote:heheh :mrgreen:

*edit* deleted the latest spam post

This thread is haunted....how cool is that :shock:
Not cool hehe, you will notice m8.

I know a different forum wich is haunted as well by a bot wich auto generate new user name and drops on spam. I think this is not a bot, perhaps you can give an ip ban ??
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

Sry forgot to log in
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

I've banned the IP. I'm sure there are multiple bots though, so I'm not sure how effective the ban will be.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
noob1234

Post by noob1234 »

I really can't understand some hackers..
I mean I have a lot of respect for the difficulty of hacking / reverse engineering (probably cause I have never learned that aspect of programming myself), but I fail to see the motive for writing a bot that attacks forums just to annoy people.
What is the point? Why do this when you can put your talents to use elsewhere?
-"Winning is like a drug...I can't settle for second or third in no circumstances whatsoever"
(Ayrton Senna)
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Why do some people do graffitis? Same thing.
2010 NA div. Admin
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi

Post by Flow »

Well on this case its a guess thing, you post link, and somewere youl catch one who will click on few link, you get trafick, more trafic you have, more you can ask money from sponsor... more you get paid. Not always the case, but some are paid to do this.
NAR.F1 driver