Sim racer gets to drive a real race car...

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Steve

Sim racer gets to drive a real race car...

Post by Steve »

I found this on iRacings site, check it out, I have heard of this guy, apparently he is the best sim racer there is, Greger Huttu is his name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1 ... r_embedded#!
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Scott Beck
Favorite team: Ferrari
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Sim racer gets to drive a real race car...

Post by Scott Beck »

Yeah, he is the best. Unbelievable driver.
Scott Beck
Visit http://www.rothmans-racing.com for Some Classic Info
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

I knew about that kind of experiment (taking simdrivers to real racecars) in the past but I didn't know they also did it with Huttu. That makes more sense to me than the other experiments where they took people driving on consoles (hopefully not with gamepads! :lol: ) I think all will agree that he is one of the best PC simracer ever, no matter the car/sim/series.

Being sick inside a race helmet is not a good experience though... (don't ask how I learned this!)
2010 NA div. Admin
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah, I saw that, it was hot there, and he lives just south of the Arctic Circle, I can imagine it a was major shock to his system !! But he was only 3 secs behind the "real racers" ...pretty impressive !!
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

Huttu is defo one of those drivers every simracer know about, got to hear about him years ago and you will hear from him many years to come.

The only thing i dont like is that they are making up that only ferry few simracers can jump in a real car and drive up 3 secs within one day of testing, i actualy think more simracers will be able to do the same thing if not being faster then Huttu in a real car. Sims and real cars are still 2 different things though.

Also whats great to see is the amount of real racers taking their way to sims, as some of you guys known im driving over in FSR for years now and are here some names i actualy raced with here just a few names i could think off and most of them i raced with. And yes AJ and Parker where actualy team m8's lol

Alvaro Parente (GP2)
Parker Kligerman (Back then skip barber, now Nascar)
AJ Almendinger (Back then Champcar, dunno what he is doing these days)
Marco Zipoli (Italian F3)
David Greco (Skip Barber, dunno what he is doing these days)
Stoffel van Doorne (Formula Renault 2.0 2012 champion)
Toby Davis (British Superkarts)

Anyway what im trying to say is most of them i actualy have been beating in sims, but put them in that same car as Huttu and they prolly drive up to within 1 sec of what the season drivers are doing in that car if not being as fast as the season drivers.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

dutch power wrote:Anyway what im trying to say is most of them i actualy have been beating in sims, but put them in that same car as Huttu and they prolly drive up to within 1 sec of what the season drivers are doing in that car if not being as fast as the season drivers.
If I understand that last sentence correctly, you are saying that a real racer (who later got some sim experience) can be better than a "pure" simracer (i.e. no real-life experience) when driving a real racecar? I'd say "no doubt about it". I think the point of the "Huttu experience" was to show that "pure simracers" can still be relatively quick (speed-wise) relatively fast (time-wise). If you could replace just a few years of real-life experience with simracing, that would be a lot of money saved at the start of a real-life career when money is often critical to making it into the sport or not...
2010 NA div. Admin
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

Yeah ofcourse, i think a simmer that grew up with simracing has and advantage over a real racer in sims, and vica versa when you talk about real cars. So far i haven't seen a real driver winning sim championships yet but its cool to see that a simmer can make the step to real racing ofcourse :) Im also not to sure if you realy need to be the pure simdriver to do well in a real car, im pretty sure that there are simmers out there that mayby get beaten by 1 sec in same circumstances as Huttu yet they are on equal level when you put them in a real car.

I still think real life experience beats sim experience any time, but its good to see that also real teams like Redbull, Ferrari and McLaren start to use virtual cockpits more often to educate their drivers thats only a sign that sim games are getting more real every year. :D
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)