What is wrong with Michael Schumacher?

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Craig Cookson
Favorite team: NAR

What is wrong with Michael Schumacher?

Post by Craig Cookson »

I know there's probably a split here, some people will be Schumacher fans and some probably wouldn't give him the time of day. I've been a fan since I started watching F1 in 1996, and I have to admit the 'comeback' is getting harder and harder to watch.

Earlier in the season the gap to Rosberg was around a couple of tenths, and sometimes Michael was ahead, but over the past few races it seems to be getting worse and worse. Over half a second isn't uncommon at the moment, and while Michael might still be having fun driving the car he surely can't see that as acceptable.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I think the weight distribution of the car is 'wrong' (or not what Michael is used for), but this is just a guess. When he was at Ferrari I think most of the weight was at the front of the car, and maybe after driving those cars for 10 years he's finding it hard to adjust to something different. But even if that is the problem it still doesn't really explain the performance difference - Rosberg is clearly finding some pace in the car, and driving around problems (or adapting to a car inbalance) was always one of Michael's strengths.

If the Mercedes was originally designed to suit Button's driving style then that might explain something, but I can't see Michael driving for the rest of season if his performance compared to his team mate doesn't improve. Watching him get overtaken so easily by Sutil and Vettel in Silverstone was awful - he just didn't seem to defend properly, like he had already given up.

I think the plan is to get the 2011 car designed to suit his driving style, and hopefully be fighting for wins again, but right now that seems a long way off.

Let's see how things go in Germany... :?
ForthRight
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

Re: What is wrong with Michael Schumacher?

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
Well not a fan really but I do or did have respect for him and his driving.
I say I did have respect because I think he should have never came back His age has a lot to do with it.
No matter what you do we are human and with age our senses just break down no matter what
Eyes reaction hell we even think slower.

But the big thing with me is that MS keeps saying it is the car so they screwed Rosberg and built a car for MS but yet he is still slower then Rosberg. :shock:

But all in all
In the 3 years he was gone the cars have changed so much and he has changed but not for the better.

Ruben M.
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

I can see what you are saying, but I still keep hoping his form is going to turn around.

The changes they made to the car were quite minor because they can't change certain things mid season - it has to be done before the season starts. So i think that's why he is focused on 2011, knowing they can make those changes and design the car to suit him. I'm not sure where that leaves Rosberg, although they are both supposed to like quite a similar car balance.

Michael has mentioned the tyres a lot, that he can't get them working (especially for single lap runs). This was a problem with the Brawn last year, so maybe it has carried over, but again Rosberg has coped with it while Michael hasn't.

I watched Michael in the Race of Champions last year (where drivers use the same cars as each other so it is equal) - he beat Coulthard and Button in those races, and he was also ahead of Vettel - Vettel actually crashed out (i think he was a bit too determined to try and beat Michael). That gave me hope for this season, as it suggested he hadn't lost his speed, but maybe the quick reflexes needed for F1 is a step too far (like you say).

Whenever I watch Michael onboard this season the car does look awful to drive - it seems to have lots of snap oversteer on low speed corner exit, a bit like my rFactor setups :wink: but Rosberg doesn't seem to have this same problem.

I think if it continues like this (between half a second and one second gap to Rosberg in practice and qualifying) he'll have to consider giving up. :?
ForthRight
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

I suspect the loss of traction control and the new tyres means a slightly different approach/style/setup is needed. I'm not sure MS' way of trying to make the car faster is the right way. I suspect he was really good using the gizmos (diff and tc settings). that's my guess. I'm sure, if that is the case, he'll realise that and adapt. For now I'll just enjoy seeing him being overtaken by force indias :)
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Coffeemachine wrote:I suspect the loss of traction control and the new tyres means a slightly different approach/style/setup is needed. I'm not sure MS' way of trying to make the car faster is the right way. I suspect he was really good using the gizmos (diff and tc settings). that's my guess. I'm sure, if that is the case, he'll realise that and adapt. For now I'll just enjoy seeing him being overtaken by force indias :)
lol... It was the opposite of enjoyment for me.

I think you could be right about the traction control - he did use that for a very long time, and I think Ferrari were one of the first teams to have it. I just look back to the earlier Ferrari races though, such as Spain in '96 - he didn't have any problem controlling the car with the throttle back then. Maybe he just got out of practice now.

I think next year will be a fresh start in terms of tyres because they have a new tyre provider (Pirelli), so it will be the same for everyone.
ForthRight
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Craig Cookson wrote:Maybe he just got out of practice now.
Speaking of which, you have to remember that MS used to be the guy doing the most mileage in private testing and he was also doing a lot of tyre testing, back before he left the first time. Now, with VERY different cars and tyres and practically NO practice time, it makes sense that he can't develop his attention to all the little details that used to be his force when he was at his best.

But, to deconstruct my own argument, if that were the case, he'd keep improving as the season progressed and he drove all those miles in the new car. Unfortunately (for him), that is far from the case. So he's now left with all the bad that made people hate him (well, some people at least), things like his on-track antics (how dumb he acts with other cars around given his lack of performance) and consistent off-track driving (not even trying to run through Copse properly at Silverstone (at least the few times we saw him there on TV), driving AROUND the pit chicane all day long in Montreal, etc.) without the speed that allowed even those who hate him to still have a bit of respect.

Actually, I wish Jacques Villeneuve gets back in F1 next season, just to see how he and Michael get along on-track, particularly if they BOTH have bad cars! Now that could be interesting! :lol:
2010 NA div. Admin
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Bilbo wrote:
Craig Cookson wrote:Maybe he just got out of practice now.
Speaking of which, you have to remember that MS used to be the guy doing the most mileage in private testing and he was also doing a lot of tyre testing, back before he left the first time. Now, with VERY different cars and tyres and practically NO practice time, it makes sense that he can't develop his attention to all the little details that used to be his force when he was at his best.
That's a good point - I hadn't thought about the testing differences. He used to do lots of laps around Fiorano with Ferrari.

If I remember correctly he was always pretty quick around the new shorter Hockenheim circuit, so i'm hoping to see something better this weekend. If we get to Spa and he's still over half a second behind Rosberg it will be very sad to see.

Actually, I wish Jacques Villeneuve gets back in F1 next season, just to see how he and Michael get along on-track, particularly if they BOTH have bad cars! Now that could be interesting! :lol:
Speaking of Villeneuve - I remember when he did a few races for Renault a few years ago and he also really struggled, so maybe it's just not that easy to get back up to speed.
ForthRight
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

I think these cars are not made for him, isnt it nice that all the new young guns are doing so great with these cars. Even Rosberg has done pretty ok 90 points so far and 6th in champ wich is actualy verry good.

Its nice that you mention the weight balance on the front thingy, thats how MS always have driven because the way he wants to have the car handling. I can still remember from 94 the Benetton era that none of the 2nd drivers could handle that car with all the same voices saying that the car is incredible nervous. You all know what will happen with a car with the weight on the front, get ur 2010 car and put some weight on the front and see how it handles. :mrgreen: Anyway MS in Ferrari era made the car to his likely, and now he had to adapt to a car that isnt made for him.

I think the way a car feels and behaves is also driver depending, if you dont feel confident in a car it will cost him more time. Look at Fisichella at Ferrari, he couldnt get along with that car either,.... and races before he was almost winning the Spa with a Force India :shock: . I wouldnt be suprised if next year MS is beating Rosberg,. if MS gets what he wants and a car to his likings. Ofcourse everyone will say that MS is back, i would say that he has the car that he wants to have. :wink: Not saying he is a bad driver or something, and no i dont like him either but he definatly belongs to those few drivers that can get something extra out of the car by driving like a Alonso and Hamilton can do.

Right now i think MS is at the wrong place at the wrong moment, Mercedes is BGP and BGP to the end of the season was already loosing ground, and right now it seems that they are not able to make the car much better, or mayby other teams are making bigger steps who knows. But im not realy confident that Mercedes is able to put a winning car on the grid next year but wll see.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

Whenever I watch Michael onboard this season the car does look awful to drive - it seems to have lots of snap oversteer on low speed corner exit, a bit like my rFactor setups but Rosberg doesn't seem to have this same problem.
Because Rosberg knows how to drive these cars, MS wants to have a sharp steerin but that isnt possbile with these cars. These cars require a smooth driving style.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

dutch power wrote:I think these cars are not made for him, isnt it nice that all the new young guns are doing so great with these cars. Even Rosberg has done pretty ok 90 points so far and 6th in champ wich is actualy verry good.
Yes Rosberg is doing really well - I certainly don't think the Mercedes car is capable of much more than he is getting out of it. Three podiums this season is very impressive.

I actually think Rosberg is the fastest team mate Michael has ever had, so that will be making it even more of a challenge. I don't think Rosberg is that far behind Hamilton in terms of dragging single lap pace out of a car.

I agree with you about the Brawn thing - I'm not sure they are capable of putting a winning car on the grid next year either. But i have to hope! :P
ForthRight
carrera

Post by carrera »

Hell......I think it is a little of both...
I think his driving is a little childish these days.
Purposely not giving ground and almost causing crashes.
Thats the MS I know.The only time I had any respect for him was when he passed
Senna in the Benetton while Senna was using the series 7 ford engine(junk).
That was the beggining of his decent driving.Then again,he purposely tried to crash
Villeneuve so he wouldn't pass him.Then the totally blatent park in Monaco so Alonso
wouldn't get a fast lap was just disgusting.I am not a fan of MS obviously...LOL....
He is over the hill and driving an old BRAWN car.Everything is against him this year.
I have respect for his talent but no real respect for the man and his decisions.
Remember Rubens B slowing so he could pass.Too many infamous moments is
why most don't like him.Rosberg on the other hand is rocking with a crappy car.
I think we should all send MS a walker for his birthday.Maybe he will get the hint.
carrera 8) 8) 8)
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
Well he must know he is old or he knows he is looking older now.
Anyone notice at the Beginning of the season they pointed out MS had crows feet (Wrinkles around the eyes)
I noticed at SilverStone no more wrinkles talking about getting stretched :lol:

And yes he us not driving the best car but I will add that the younger MS would be driving the tires off a bad car.
Dam years back in Brazil (I think) he raced and won and only had 3rd gear most of the race. :shock:

Ruben M.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

A lot closer to Rosberg in qualifying today - only 0.008 between them. :)

Unfortunately the team seems to have lost ground (again) with Williams managing to get ahead. I think Mercedes should give up on this car and focus on 2011.
ForthRight
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

What an ASS !!!!!

That move he pulled on Barrichello today at Hungary shows how much of an ASS he is.
He should be banned from ever racing again.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

More off a sign of frustation that he just doesnt have the hang on this car. Rosberg again is doing better then him and i think he is getting frustated, if you block then block in time wich he cleary didnt. If Barrichello didnt had anticpated on the situation they would have tangled up on the straight verry dangerous move. Its the same with Lance Armstrong making his comeback, everyone expects one more trick from him to show what he can do but in the end its ending in a disapointend showing. He better quits at the end of this year, like i said before i dont think Mercedes will put a winning car on track next year.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello

Craig Wrote:
I think Mercedes should give up on this car and focus on 2011.
After today and for sure his last few races it is time for a new driver not so much the car.
They brought him in more for development yet he wants to mow give up and work on 2011.

And after seeing that block I am with Steve B it is time for him to go home
He is so desperate now he is willing to crash out someone for a point pffft what a joke.

Go home go home MS you are done. MHO

Ruben M.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Hitman wrote:Go home go home MS you are done. MHO

Ruben M.

I couldn't agree more Hitman :)
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Hitman wrote:He is so desperate now he is willing to crash out someone for a point pffft what a joke.
Actually, he has ALWAYS been like that. That's exactly the reason why those who love him, love him and why those who hate him, hate him. Until he was "old" and retired (with all due respect to old and retired NAR drivers :wink: ), it was all considered "his fighting spirit" and "doing everything for the win". The guy just never did and never will understand when to give up (either on or off the track)... :roll:
2010 NA div. Admin
Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
Well fighting Spirit and all
I used to have some respect for his driving and his accomplishments and all (Never a big big fan) for many reasons.
1. being things like this I find myself having no respect for someone who can not be man enough to acknowledge when you are wrong
and giving some half a.....s excuse that only he can beleave

Rubens then saw and heard Schumacher’s view of the incident via a nearby screen.

“Well there’s not much to say other than that he had fresher tyres,” Michael began. “My exit speed (from the final corner) was a bit compromised. I knew he was coming so, from my point of view, I was moving over to let him know where I was so he could go to the other side, but he obviously decided not to move to the other side. We know some drivers have certain moves.”

Barrichello then responded to the 7-time World Champion’s comments. “It’s always been my fault for six years, hasn’t it?” he smiled. “His view is always that I’m a big crier.”

I mean what do's he really think we are all that stupid that we would swallow that he got to have old timers hitting him if he thinks that.

Ruben M.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Typical responce from the famous Micheal "I do nothing wrong" Shumacher.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN