Lag problem

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Firefly

Lag problem

Post by Firefly »

I'm posting this just to see if anyone has the same problem, or if they can offer any advice on how to fix it.

Since switching to the F1rft mod I have had very bad 'lag' at the start of each race. It's as if the game goes into slow motion and it's very hard to judge steering and pedal inputs, and also the distance to the other cars. This normally means I have to be extra careful and it is costing me time and places.

The slow motion affect starts as soon as I go to the grid and it lasts for at least the first corner. You can probably imagine how this affects getting off the line at the start - I simply cant accelerate properly as I can't judge the revs or the gear shifts or the distance from other cars. It's turning into a nightmare and i'm sure it's the reason I lost places at the start of the Turkey race.

I should point out that I didn't have this problem with MMG or F1 Champions mods.

My computer is quite powerful and my internet connection is fine, so I really don't know what is causing it. I've turned opponent detail down to low, i've turned off special effects and turned visible cars down to 8 but nothing has helped.

The lag (or slow motion) does disappear, normally after the first couple of corners, but by this point i've lost places and time. :(

Thanks for any help or advice on this.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Re: Lag problem

Post by Bilbo »

Firefly wrote:My computer is quite powerful and my internet connection is fine, so I really don't know what is causing it.
Please define "powerful"...
2010 NA div. Admin
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's an Intel Core Duo E6850, 4GB DDR2 Ram, Nvidia 8800GTX.

Only using onboard sound though... i've only just realised that could be the cause, with all the car engine sounds at the start. Would be pretty bad if that was it though.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Does it have the same problem if you start a single-player race with a full field?
2010 NA div. Admin
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No i just tried single player and it was super-smooth at the start, with lots of cars on screen in front of me.

So that rules out the sound issue. Now I dont know what it could be. :(
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

Mine does the same thing but only intermittently, I have found that it has soomething to do with programs running in the background. Now I reboot before joining and make sure nothing else is running that is not needed. My Machine is pretty new as well so power is not an issue. ( more power is always better, however)
"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I always make sure there's nothing running in the background though (apart from Relay), and the fact that it only happens at the start of the race suggests it's something to do with having lots of cars around me.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

The thought of having one of these slow motion race starts at Monaco is pretty terrible. :(