messed up rfactor------yet again

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
brad

messed up rfactor------yet again

Post by brad »

hopefully someone can help me. this has happend before, but its been a long time and ive forgotten how to fix this issue.

basically, rfactor does not see my player information. if i browse the rfactor directory, all of my info is there, my player folder with the player.plr file is there, but when i start the game, its like im starting it for the first time and i have to create a new character, and it cannot find my original one. heres where it gets interesting, i create a new player called "test 5", i can save this player, restart the game, and it starts with player "test 5" however, when i browse the user folders, there is no player named "test 5" just my original stuff that the game no longer can see.

this has happend before, and i kinda remember something about having to replace a file, i just cannot remember what file it was.

does this make sence? can anyone help?
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

Well

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello Brad
Well I don't know why it is not seeing your Orin player file.
But I think when you create a new player you need to at least go on track before it will create the player file. If I remember right :shock:

Any chance you installed something new that might have caused this conflict.
A mod a update

Hitman 8)
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Steve

Post by Steve »

I had this problem once before, and what I did is recreate my player, made sure it was working, and then saved my .PLR folder somewhere on my hard drive, next time it happened, I just copied that folder back in and it worked.
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
brad

Post by brad »

nope, no mods or anything installed recently hitman.

ok, remind me again, where should my plr file be? the player name i use has a plr file in its file folder, is there somewhere else it should be? could the plr file be corrupted? it is there, and it looks ok to me, but i cannot remember what all should be in it. I have a total of 3 players: Brad Jaeger----nar brad-----eric(my brothers profile) all 3 of these players have folders with plr files in them, but the game does not see any of these players. from the games standpoint, its almost like i just installed the game, and have not set up anything yet. in fact, when i started the game, i had to go through the graphics configuration program, i knew then that something was wrong. no changes to my graphics card or driver.
Steve

Post by Steve »

ok, remind me again, where should my plr file be?

program files/rfactor/user data/your name.... your player file should be in that folder
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Drago(ITA)

Post by Drago(ITA) »

have you just a single installation of rfactor? If not maybe this could be one problem.
Each time you create a new player , the game create a folder in the user data folder with the same name of the player you create.
This folder contains all personal setings ( .plr file) , wheel settings (controller.ini) , all your car setups (settings folder , in which you can found a folder for each track setup you saved) ,and some other files.... .
You already knew all these things so you can easily understand now that controller.ini and settings folder are named the same for each player you have in rfactor , but can be different in content of course , while your main player folder in user data folder and .plr file are always named the same as the player you create in rfactor.
So you should have in userdata folder 4 folders at least and they should be:
Brad Jaeger , nar brad , eric , and also test 5 (the last working player you created).
If not , search for test 5 folder where is located , and that should be the folder where rfactor (for some reason)saves the player folder .
brad

Post by brad »

ok, i found where test 5 was. there was a rfactor folder in "my document" that was not there before.
I deleted this folder, started the game, it still started like it was just installed, i had to create a player,
created "test 6" shut down the game, and yup,
in my document there was a rfactor folder with test 6 user data.

how do i get the game to look where it is supposed to for the user data?
Racer
NAR administrator

Post by Racer »

strange problem u have Brad, the only time i had something like that was when i tested Vista,
but i am on XP now,

But do u have more space on ure Harddisk or more harddisk, if so create a partition and copy ure rfactor folder to another part of ure harddisk and start the game create another name see if it stays where it sopose to be,

good luck.

hope it helps u in anyway
brad

Post by brad »

i fixed it. I had forgotten that i recently changed a setting in vista that requires approval for certain processes to run, and sure enough, i found a setting that allows me to run rfactor as an admin, then it started up perfect. thanks for the help everyone
Racer
NAR administrator

Post by Racer »

nice glad u sort things out.

what version off vista u running Brad,

looks like Vista is working for u with rFactor thats wy am asking,
i did had alot of problem with Vista 1 time, running rFactor,
brad

Post by brad »

windows vista home premium with all the latest updates
Racer
NAR administrator