More server woes

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

More server woes

Post by DanTheMan »

The main server that holds the NAR forum (and F1R forum and F1R homepage and my personal homepage and ...) has had some kind of hardware failure. I am not sure what it is or how to fix it, but it looks like it could be related to the power supply. I'll know more once I do some more investigation, but it is a strange problem. It all started when my ISP went down for 30 minutes. I _think_ it was a scheduled upgrade they did, but when they came back online the server first refused to get a new DHCP lease, and then once it got the lease it complains about no route to host (despite having a route). I then rebooted, and all of a sudden the computer didn't even want to boot unless I unplugged a bunch of harddiscs. I'm perplexed, but as soon as I get some more sleep I'll look into it.

In the meantime I have moved the forums to an alternate server on a different Internet connection. Everything should work like before, but possibly a little bit slower. The alternate computer is only a P2-233 with 256MB memory (compared with the dual P3-700 with 1GB memory that is the main server).

/Daniel
Move over!!!
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

I have finally moved the forums back to the main server. Most people should not notice any difference, except maybe a slightly quicker response time.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
Alx

Post by Alx »

There is a huge difference here!! Im on 1 Mbit in England.
a little bit sideways is always quicker
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

Well, the difference in computer speed is only really useful when the Internet link is not bogged down with other traffic. Both the link to the main server and the one to the temporary server are the same (2Mbit), but the link to the main server has seen very little traffic the last couple of days.

/Daniel
Move over!!!