"Red" tyre rule

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Kaali

"Red" tyre rule

Post by Kaali »

Bridgestone wants 'red' tyre rule in F1

Bridgestone is considering following Champ Car's example and introducing an 'option' tyre rule in Formula One next season.
Source: autosport.com

I don't watch Champ Car so I have no idea what that red tyre rule is about. Can any of you explain what it's about?
It's not hard, when you know how......
klaaz

Post by klaaz »

the soft compount tyre has a red ring or something on it, so its clear for everyone who is using witch compound. the use of different tyre compounds is mandatory.
CART Rulz

Post by CART Rulz »

Yeah in Champ Car every team gets I think 2 sets of red tires per weekend. Its a softer compound than the normal one and allows for slightly quicker lap times. However, there is a red ring along the wall of the tire so everyone knows who is running the softer tire on their stint. The funny thing is, some drivers prefer to use the normal tires over the softer ones sometimes depending on the setup, so who knows if its actually softer lol.
Racing is more than just a hobby or a sport; Its an obsession
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

I see. So it is a so called an addition to make races more exciting if you have 2 choises of compounds?
CART Rulz

Post by CART Rulz »

Exactly. If two cars are very close, and they both pit at the same time and one puts on reds while the other puts on normals, in theory the red tires should be quicker. Then when they pit the next time they might swap so one puts on reds while the other puts on normals. Personally I'd like to see it get done, I'm in favor of anything that might allow more opportunities to pass in F1. Hell I even like Champ Cars addition of the "Push to Pass" button. They equiped each car with a button that allowed them 60 seconds of slightly increased turbo presure per race. So if your going down the straight and following someone, if the draft isnt enough and you really wanna pass em, press the "Push to Pass" button, get 50 more horsepower, and get by em down the straight. You just better hope the other car isnt on their "Push to Pass" already, otherwise your not goin anywhere.

I like Champ Car :D :D :D
Racing is more than just a hobby or a sport; Its an obsession
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Yup, i personaly like more the chalenge in Champcart, setup and driver make the difference... not engine and car (all same if im right...)
NAR.F1 driver
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

Hi guys

Thanks for the enlightning. You learn everyday!

Well...regarding F1 & other leagues...F1 should be the pinnacle of sport so to me it's ok when teams can push the limits so in other words it is ok if cars and engines aren't all the same. 8)