F1 2010

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Craig Cookson
Favorite team: NAR

F1 2010

Post by Craig Cookson »

Absolute shit.

Please don't waste any money on this.

No feedback from the car, no feeling of driving a car, no loss of traction, no oversteer, no locking brakes and no sense of what the car is doing. That's because the car isn't doing anything, just going around on rails. Might as well not be a car - just a floating camera that you control left and right with the wheel.

Even in heavy rain it is hard to spin and the spins are fake when they eventually happen.

I fell for it again. Thanks Davidson.
ForthRight
Coffeemachine

Re: F1 2010

Post by Coffeemachine »

oh no...crap :) i alredy bought it :P

not released yet here

I'll just have to hope you are a complete retard and have been driving the "easy" settings...guessing "not likely " ;)
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Thanks for the review, that's pretty much what I expected although I would have liked very much to be proven wrong...
2010 NA div. Admin
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Coffeemachine wrote:oh no...crap :) i alredy bought it :P

not released yet here

I'll just have to hope you are a complete retard and have been driving the "easy" settings...guessing "not likely " ;)
I'm really sorry to say those things - if you've paid for the game and haven't played it yet it must be pretty awful to read. It's not actually out here till tomorrow either but I pre-ordered it from Amazon and they delivered it a day early.

Obviously all aids are turned off yes, but you'd really think they weren't. :( You can only change these settings while on track (by pressing ESC) - you don't seem to be able to change them from the main menus.

The main problem with the game is that once again (like Grid and other Codemasters games before it) you don't feel as though you're driving a car - it simply doesn't feel like something with 4 wheels connected to the track, it just feels like you're steering a first person shooter around a track with a steering wheel. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but it's not far off - I drive in real life, and games like GTR2 and rFactor give me the feeling of driving a car due to the characteristics and behaviour on track. In F1 2010 it doesn't feel like a car - it doesn't feel like anything. The force feedback is also completely lacking - apart from vibrating over the curbs it doesn't give you any sense of what the car is doing (I'm using the G25 wheel and pedals).

I don't know... maybe to some people it won't feel this bad. I've read lots of mixed comments on forums whilst waiting for the game - some said it wasn't great but there were also comments from sim racers who said it wasn't too bad, comparing it to an rFactor F1 mod but with slightly more grip. In my opinion that is an insult to rFactor. This thing feels nothing like it.

There are some bugs (apparently). Pit control is very messy and limited, and the engine seems to jump to the rev limit too fast while driving, and there is a bug where you have to change the sound setting to 'software' mode (instead of 'Rapture') otherwise you get lag when shifting gears. To be honest though none of these bugs matter - the driving is the most important part of any racing game and the handling in F1 2010 is simply not right at all. I didn't like NFS Shift very much due to it's slightly lacking physics but it's a much better driving game than F1 2010.

As a test I tried some car setup adjustments - I chose the HRT (should be a handful?), then I put minimum rear wing and max front wing, harder rear springs and ARB - I did everything I could to create an oversteering mess, but when I got onto the track I could barely tell the difference. I still couldn't spin the car with full throttle on the exit of tight 2nd gear corners. I tried the same thing in the rain and although you can spin in the rain it is still very easy to drive (far too much grip) and you have to be stupidly aggressive with the throttle and steering to get it to happen.

I hate to say these things because I really wanted this game to be good - not for it to be a sim but simply to be fun to drive. Unfortunately driving it is just making me angry - knowing how much better it should have been... how much better they said it was going to be.

I can't see myself ever playing it again. Yes there were realism mods to improve the physics in Shift but this game feels so 'wrong' to start with I really don't think they could fix it. I'm starting to believe Codemasters just haven't got a clue about creating a good phyisics model for a driving game. It's easy to turn a full blown sim into a forgiving and fun to play driving game just by putting in some driving aids, so surely if they had the talent that's what they would do - develop a great physics engine and then create lots of aids for those who want it to be easier (it would still feel like a car!). What they've done here is create a total mess of a physics engine and then added pointless aids and car setup options to make people think there's more going on underneath.

I feel gutted and angry that I wasted £30 on this game, but more than anything I just feel sad. I feel sad when I think back to some of the things the developers said leading up to the release of this game, and also the statements from Anthony Davidson. They really sold it to me... I guess they got what they wanted.
ForthRight
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

i can only agree 100% with you.... i do believe there is lots of grip, but this is just.... i mean, i got it over the line and it snapped on me a few times but... i dont know
i couldnt cope with that weird cockpit angle either, had to drive with the nose camera....at least the tracks look great
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm furious at the moment. I agree with every word you said Craig. It's bloody ridiculous. Like Coffeemachine, I also paid for it, expecting it to be fun to drive at least. But here we have controls lagging and sound bugs and like you say, the car is on rails. The only plus side is the tracks, they are superb, but the rest, the driving and the menus are pure shit. Hope the tracks can be converted to rFactor 2 or something when it comes out, because I'm already sick of this game.
Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Peter Sojda

Post by Peter Sojda »

I like this :) I don't use my wheel for arcade games, I use pad or keyboard.
SCUDERIA FERRARI F1 TEAM
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Fred wrote:I'm furious at the moment. I agree with every word you said Craig. It's bloody ridiculous. Like Coffeemachine, I also paid for it, expecting it to be fun to drive at least. But here we have controls lagging and sound bugs and like you say, the car is on rails. The only plus side is the tracks, they are superb, but the rest, the driving and the menus are pure shit. Hope the tracks can be converted to rFactor 2 or something when it comes out, because I'm already sick of this game.
That's one of the things that makes this is so frustrating - the game does look really nice. The tracks look great and the wet weather effects are also very good. The tracks need to be converted to something though because personally I can't play this game.

I actually feel quite depressed after all the hype, knowing we all wasted money on it. I can live with the crappy pit stops and inconsistent AI, I can live with the terrible console menu and the lack of mouse support... but the handling is just dreadful. To be honest I didn't even waste much time tweaking the steering linearity setting or the force feedback options (the three that there are), because I knew it simply wasn't worth it - no amount of force feedback editing will fix the physics in this game.

I just can't believe it.

I so wanted rain again - i was looking forward to racing in the rain with an F1 car. This game even has dynamic weather but I just don't care anymore - I don't even want to drive the laps it would require to see it.

What a total disappointment. :(
ForthRight
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

Can someone upload one of the tracks so I can take a look at it to see
if it is at all possible to convert them.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

So afteral it was only eye candy and everything else around it is just pure crap as we already feared. Shame. :(
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Steve B wrote:Can someone upload one of the tracks so I can take a look at it to see
PM sent.
Last edited by Craig Cookson on 06 Oct 2010, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
ForthRight
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

dutch power wrote:So afteral it was only eye candy and everything else around it is just pure crap as we already feared. Shame. :(
It is a shame because the game could've been a lot of fun, but you start to wonder if the developers have ever actually driven a car in real life.

A good example of an easy but realistic sim car is the Lotus Elise in GTR2 - it will spin if you push it very hard (depending on setup), but it is also very forgiving and very predictable (and it is predictable because it behaves like a real car). On top of that you can turn on the TC, ABS and stability control to make it super easy to drive, like an arcade racer. Even older arcade racers like Project Gotham on the original XBox had predictable handling - you could get oversteer with too much throttle and you could control it with opposite lock.

F1 2010 simply doesn't have this - the steering is awful and there is so much grip that you can barely break traction at all (or ever in the dry). The cars in F1 2010 actually defy the laws of physics, and unfortunately I don't believe real F1 cars can do this yet...
ForthRight
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

Craig Cookson wrote:
Steve B wrote:Can someone upload one of the tracks so I can take a look at it to see
PM sent.
PM read :)

Thank you
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Jools
Favorite team: Williams
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Jools »

Was going to get it, you've saved me 25 quid
Jools
Favorite team: Williams
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Jools »

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/ ... honey.html

Wow…. People are saying the AI don’t actually have laptimes according to how fast they are driving, they are made up laptimes… :/ They just appear to give you something to try to overtake…

Definitely not buying if true…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ6InjuYGk

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

http://twitter.com/Noelinho/status/25442999049

What a complete joke.

No handling, no AI, it's a time trial with some AI roadblocks... so much for all the pretty... :(

Bring on rFactor 2
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

Jools wrote:http://community.codemasters.com/forum/ ... honey.html

Wow…. People are saying the AI don’t actually have laptimes according to how fast they are driving, they are made up laptimes… :/ They just appear to give you something to try to overtake…

Definitely not buying if true…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ6InjuYGk

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

http://twitter.com/Noelinho/status/25442999049

What a complete joke.

No handling, no AI, it's a time trial with some AI roadblocks... so much for all the pretty... :(

Bring on rFactor 2
Seriously - if you like driving with a wheel you don't want this game.

My copy is on it's way back to Amazon. I don't know if i'll get my money back, but i'm going to have a good try.
ForthRight
Craig Cookson

Post by Craig Cookson »

I actually got my money refunded. :)

Also, VirtualR.net has recently posted a review of the game, saying that the cars are quite fun to drive and they give decent feedback. I totally disagree.

Maybe the Force Feedback is better with that Porsche wheel lots of people seem to be using (including VirtualR), but with the G25 there is no feedback at all. And even if there were better force feedback the cars still have far too much grip... i'm a bit surprised by their review to be honest.
ForthRight