Operating System XP?

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
aawil

Operating System XP?

Post by aawil »

Hey guys, I picked up a barebones AMD 2500 and a 160G Maxtor and I figure it's time to leave Windows me. Is XP Pro stable with F1C? I plan to use it mainly for the racing games plus get a dvd burner soon as well. I can't decide between the HOME and PRO. Most say PRO is the way to go but I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks :)
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

I made the move from WinME to XP Pro last Spring and haven't looked back since then.

I figured it was time to switch to XP when the games were running better in it than ME. I had some problems with Links 2003 and Freelancer (both Micro$oft games, < insert conspiracy theory here /> ) just before I made the move (freezes, CTD, etc.) and ALL games I have tried since going to XP (including the forementioned 2 games) have worked just fine.

I haven't gone back too much trying to play old games but MCO (not that old), Unreal Tournament (the original, older) and even the original Unreal (one of the first 3D-accelerated games, back in the early-3dFX days) worked just perfectly in XP.

XP Pro has been rock-solid for me, as much at home (gaming) as at work (software development).

System config: Asus A7V266-E, AMD XP2400+, 768MB RAM, GeForce3, 5 HD (2 in RAID0) totaling 210GB, CD-RW/DVD combo.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

I almost forgot to mention that F1C works like a charm under XP Pro and that if you have the choice or the money, I would recommend PRO over HOME, especially if you have or intend to have a home network.
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

I getted XP pro from somebody for free!!! :lol:

And its rock steady, didnt had problems with xp pro since the install half a year ago and its still running smooth with no problems :lol: .
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

I installed XP-pro ass well, no problems so far!

I've heard that ME would be better because XP have a lot programs running at the background. Because of this F1c has less frame rate per second....
I have a 1800+ AMD Athlon, 524 DDR Ram, Geforce 2 GTS 64 Mb videocard, XP pro and my frame rate is (with full graphics) 30-35 fps. With W98se I had 45-50 fps...

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
carrera

Post by carrera »

Well I have similar systems to you all it seems..
I run an overclocked(factory unlocked chip) amd xp1700 running at 1.8 ghz...a geforce 3 ti 500 and 2 maxtor 60 gig drives...on an asus board using ddr memory.
I have never paid for my operating systems either.I have them all and I recommend xp pro with service pack 1 .It helps to have the new direct x 9.0a or9.0b version...I have used xp pro since it came out.Windows ME sux...LOL...also if you shut a few unnecessary processes down it helps.
My second machine is also a 1700 but not overclocked .It runs xp pro as well.Heck..xp finds everything I put in it...and doesn't drop the network like windows 98 and me do...that is enough to drive a person nuts....
Go xp you won't go back to 98 or (ewww) M E....
carrera 8) 8) 8) 8)
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
tobber

Post by tobber »

Well i use Win 2000 but also has winXP Pro as second boot Operating system, what I heard about win me is that it really sucks so change as quick as possible. and win XP Pro is the way to go. I dont really know the difference between the pro and non pro version but if you change to win xp remember to have it updatede regulary.

tobber over and out!!!
Steve

Yo Carrera

Post by Steve »

yo m8, what do you recommend disabling in xp pro to make it smoother, i have a few disabled through administrative tools{ or whatever it's called } through the control panel. messenger is disabled, and a few other things, what services do you recommend disabling?
carrera

Post by carrera »

Yo Steve...sorry it took a bit to reply...
shutting down the messenger and a few other things will help for sure.
I have nothing excepty audio running in my taskbar....
now...hit ctrl+alt+del all at same time and you will get a windows task manager..same as admin i think...go to the process tab and look to see what is running.I am running a network so I have a few more things running than you...just make sure you don't have your taskbar full of needless junk like nvidia or radeon control panels and such.
Now if you want to get more technical...go to start button click on run and type in msconfig .go to the services tab and look thru it...things like
auto update
wireless config
error reporting
event services
fast user switching
help and support
remote procedure
task scheduler
system error note

now there are so many and our machines are not the same obviuosly..
also these services do not run all the time..the most important of course is to get things out of your taskbar by using msconfig .these things eat memory and take cpu power and xp uses these services and leaves them in hibernation in your taskmanager...example:i had a pentium 3 800 with only 128 megs of pc133...I had to shut down several running processes to run max payne...but I will say one thing right now.I would not go back to any other operating system as xp manages memory well...but it still eats it up...this is fixed by adding a whole schwack of memory..
also don't expect the machine to run totally faster after you shut this stuff down.it will run more efficiently..it would be a mild change and you would have less problems in game...
I forgot to say that i run service pack1 in my xppro .It has also helped in a few areas....
carrera
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
Alx

Post by Alx »

Guys...listen to this!

I was at the crazy danes house, tobber, and he is a god damn mad scientist computer dude!! We formatted my whole shit and made a full reinstall with all the latest stuff + a bios update.

I have proof that before the format I was running about 75 fps at suzuka in F1c and after...hold on... 170 fps!!!! This is no joke!! I cant believe it! My P4 2.53 GHz, 512 MB, G4 TI 4600 was on fire!!! Ok, overclocked both CPU (2,71) and graphics but anyway...
so between 140-170 when hotlapping on my own. that is pretty fantastic.

SO WHATEVER YOU DO.......FORMAT AND CLEEN INSTALL. CHOOSE DRIVERS CAREFULLY AND CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Oh...and Im back in Sweden for the winter now.
a little bit sideways is always quicker
Steve

Post by Steve »

only things running on my taskbar are my norton antivirus, my zone alarm firewall, and audio m8. now, do items in the quick launch area slow down the system? i have three items in quick launch
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

The quick launch area (besides the START button) is just like having shortcuts on your desktop, it doesn't use any CPU.

Anyone could tell me if there is a way to display the frame rate inside the game or are you all using external utilities, a la FRAPS?
Steve

Post by Steve »

just hit control f to get the frame rate bilbo :D
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Thanks for the info, Steve! :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

np Bilbo !!! :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

ok Carrera, are the services you listed ones i should disable?
carrera

Post by carrera »

yo steve..
I have shut down those services ..yes..
I also want to say...hey alx...that extra speed better not make you faster...I can't catch up already..LOL...
As for formatting and reinstalling....I do it once every 2 months just to make sure everything runs clean...also a new bios update is ready by about that time.Sounds like your machine Steve isn't cluttered too much.
Only a couple of things running in taskbar that can be shut down...
Make sure you keep nortons up to date though Steve.I have been cleaning out some nasty viruses from computers..If your computer starts lagging real bad or going slow as hell for no reason...The most common virus i have found lateli is the dummy dllhost.exe...updated norton did not catch this for some reason..I think it is that little weasel...Osama BIn laden..
LOL....but seriously folks..I have been defending the nar name alot lately.They are trying to accuse Nar of being cheaters...In other words..They are stirring up shit because they can't keep up to any Nar guys...We rule the online f1 arena...so they have to make any excuse to compensate for their inadequacies...something like when a kid drops his icecream cone and tries to make an excuse to get a new one...
Funny thing...I get massive .hdv file mismatches with them LOL
So I just told the guys to grow a bigger dick and get a life...I accused them of cheating(which they were) and then I kicked there sorry butts out of the room out of the room...the nerve of some children eh?
carrera 8) 8) 8)