"I was just happy to be racing" - Coulthard

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

"I was just happy to be racing" - Coulthard

Post by Flow »

David Coulthard has fired a salvo in the direction of formula one countryman Lewis Hamilton, as they prepare to also do battle in the book shops of the world.

After fourteen seasons on the grand prix grid, F1's oldest driver recently launched his biography, entitled 'It is what it is'. Rookie championship leader Hamilton, meanwhile, last week reportedly penned a seven-figure publishing deal for his own book -- after not even twelve career races.

"I told him I was quite surprised Ron Dennis was letting him do it because he never liked drivers doing books when I was there," 36-year-old Coulthard said in an interview on Monday with The Guardian. "Lewis said: 'Yeah, but he's not paying me enough. I've got to earn my money somewhere else.'" In the interview, Coulthard questions Hamilton's priorities as the 2007 title battle whittles down to a contest of just four final grands prix.

The Red Bull driver said: "When I started in formula one I was just happy to be racing. Money never came into the equation."

Scotland's Coulthard also revealed that he sympathises with Fernando Alonso this season, after the Spaniard walked into McLaren some nine years into Hamilton's long association with the team. "When I was at McLaren they blatantly favoured (Mika) Hakkinen," Coulthard revealed. "When they cheered my teammate for beating me it tore me up. Ron's mantra is 'We exist to win' but it's not the way I do business," he added.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/a ... /view.html
NAR.F1 driver
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lewis does need to stay focused on racing. And it's probably difficult considering he's gone from been relatively unknown (as a GP2 driver), to been one of the most famous sports people in the world. He needs to keep feet on the ground.

It's annoying how money seems to come up again and again though. Sure he's not going to go poor.
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Hes leading the world F1 championship with an salary of 500 000$ and some other drivers are earning many many millions. But they all started at bottom. He maybe forgot that some driver are even paying theyr team to race. Some got theyr ass kick out of car cause they didnt had any sponsor money to pay theyr seats, so 500 000$ with no sponsor pressure on year 1 of McLaren, a team that pay is ticket to F1 since he had a diaper, that is alot for 2007. He just must be patient, next year, he will earn more than he can think.
NAR.F1 driver
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I agree, although I sometimes wonder how much money they actually need.

Some drivers move teams because of a huge pay offer, despite that they are already rich to start with. It's the same in football though... it seems when you're in that position you try to maximize what you can get, even when it makes you look greedy and only interested in money.

I just hope Lewis' on track performance doesn't dip as the huge bundles of money start rolling in.