Alonso to test McLaren

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Kaali

Alonso to test McLaren

Post by Kaali »

Now this is interesting. Alonso will test McLaren at Jerez according to Autosport.com:
Alonso to test for McLaren today

World champion Fernando Alonso will test for McLaren for the first time today at Jerez, autosport.com can reveal.

The last-minute test comes after Renault agreed to release the Spaniard from his contract, following intense negotiations with McLaren until late last night.

Alonso arrived at the Jerez track yesterday afternoon, staying at a nearby hotel with his father and manager, preparing for the possibility of testing.

The reigning champion, who has left Renault to join McLaren, will take over today from McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa, and he is expected to drive in an unbranded car.

It remains unclear at the moment what McLaren and Renault had agreed on, but autosport.com understands that the negotiations were held at the highest level, with personnel from both McLaren and Renault kept out of the loop to ensure secrecy.

McLaren were keen to get Alonso into their car before the Christmas break, especially since there will be no extensive testing during the month of January.

A McLaren spokeswoman confirmed to autosport.com that Alonso will be testing today, while Renault were unavailable for comment.
It's not hard, when you know how......
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

Wow! Alonso HAS already driven a McLaren :shock: :
Alonso makes McLaren debut
Friday, 15, December, 2006, 10:43
Click to enlarge

Double world champion Fernando Alonso has made a surprise debut for McLaren on the final day’s testing of the year at Jerez this morning.

The 26-year-old Spaniard looked set to miss all of the three Christmas tests as his contract with Renault did not end until December 31.

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh revealed last week that the Woking-squad had asked the world champion team to release the driver from his contract early to allow him to take part at Jerez, and it seems a late agreement has been reached.

Wearing a plain white helmet, Alonso left the pits in an unbranded MP4-21 and completed several laps of the Spanish circuit.

IndyCar ace Marco Andretti is also catching the attention at Jerez as he makes his F1 testing debut for Honda.

Source: itv.com
It's not hard, when you know how......
aawil

Post by aawil »

I hate to say it but it was nice of them to allow him to test although he is still under contract. I doubt mclaren would have been so generous.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

aawil wrote:I hate to say it but it was nice of them to allow him to test although he is still under contract. I doubt mclaren would have been so generous.
Who says McLaren did not have to be "generous" to Renault for the opportunity? :roll: :wink:
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

With money, you can get alot!!!
Last edited by Flow on 16 Dec 2006, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
NAR.F1 driver
klaaz

Post by klaaz »

1-0 hamilton/alonso

1. L. Hamilton - McLaren - 1'19"493 (+0"000) - 100 laps
2. H. Kovalainen - Renault - 1'19"586 (+0"093) - 92 laps
3. G.
Fisichella - Renault - 1'19"798 (+0"305) - 109 laps
4. C. Klien - Honda - 1'19"835 (+0"342) - 121 laps
5. F. Alonso - McLaren - 1'19"866 (+0"373) - 90 laps
6. R. Kubica - BMW Sauber - 1'19"894 (+0"401) - 125 laps
7. L. Badoer - Ferrari - 1'19"899 (+0"406) - 38 laps
8. S. Vettel - BMW Sauber - 1'20"069 (+0"576) - 117 laps
9. V. Liuzzi - Red Bull - 1'20"191 (+0"698) - 72 laps
10. T. Sato - Super Aguri - 1'20"854 (+1"361) - 114 laps
11. M. Gené - Ferrari - 1'21"015 (+1"522) - 98 laps
12. S. Bourdais - Toro Rosso - 1'21"277 (+1"784) - 100 laps
13. A. Wurz - Williams - 1'21"368 (+1"875) - 64 laps
14. M. Andretti - Honda - 1'21"888 (+2"395) - 67 laps
15. S. Speed - Toro Rosso - 1'23"315 (+3"822) - 14 laps

source: http://www.f1news.nl/index.php?id=4531

Not to bad for a first days of work
carrera

Post by carrera »

Hmmmm A 1:19.866 for Alonzo and its his first time in the car.'d say the competition are going to be chasing him again come spring.
Bilbo should be happy.Now he can see Mclaren in front again I'm sure.It'll be between the young guns...Alonzo...Raikonnen...Hamilton...Kovalainen...Hitman...carrera...oh wait...we are not young enough...bummer...hahahaha...
carrera 8) 8) 8)
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

hehehee

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
LMAO Carr
You are right we are not so young. :lol:

But all very close times
If it stays like that we might have a great season on the way.
If the McLaren do's not blow up.

Hitman 8)
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Germany's Bild-Zeitung claims that although Flavio Briatore said he and the Spaniard still enjoy 'a very good relationship', the Italian probably still demanded that McLaren pay for the privilege - according to speculation - of using a Renault employee for the Jerez test. The sum of (US) $2.6m was mentioned.
Source: http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlin ... 0949.shtml
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

In the spirit of fairness:
Some sources claimed that with the Spanish world champion remaining under contract until the last day of 2006, Briatore demanded more than $2.5 million from counterpart Ron Dennis so that Alonso could make an unbranded debut at Jerez last Friday.

Renault's Briatore insisted to the Spanish newspaper Diario As, however, that the temporary contract release was in recognition of their joint achievements and respect.

"Fernando has been with us for five years," Briatore said, "and in that time obtained two world titles.

"For that reason alone, and because he asked me for permission to test with his new team, I was happy to let him do it. There is nothing else to it."
Source: http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlin ... 5827.shtml