IRC

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

IRC

Post by DanTheMan »

I spoke to Killahead earlier today, and he mentioned that he had received a few requests for an IRC server to chat on before and after races.

Since IRC isn't all that well-known to the big grey mass of Internet users I think a short introduction would be a good way to start:

IRC is an abbreviation for Internet Relay Chat. It allows people to meet and chat in real time in something called "channels" (a.k.a. "rooms"). IRC has been around since the 80's, and was quite lively when I started using Internet back in 1991. Today most people use web-chats instead of IRC, but the principle is the same.

In order to use IRC you must have an IRC client. The most popular client for Windows is called mIRC and can be downloaded here: http://www.mirc.com/get.html

Once you have installed and configured mIRC (you need to set your nickname) you can connect to the NAR IRC server just by clicking this link: [url]irc://irc.nar.zapto.org/NAR[/url]
If the link doesn't work, or if you are using another IRC client, you can use the following information to connect to the server.
IRC server: irc.nar.zapto.org
IRC port: 6667
IRC channel: #NAR

If anyone knows of a good Java-based client (applet) that Killahead can put on the homepage please post information here. Most Java clients seem to be commercial.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
tobber

Post by tobber »

heheh Nice job!!! your the Man "DanTheMan" i will for sure be a regular user of the Irc channel hope to see your guyes there.

tobber Over and out!!!
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

Hey guys i have instal it and it seems to work :lol:

Greetz DP