Villeneuve confims the rhumor : Bid for a 2011 F1 TEAM

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Post Reply
User avatar
Flow
Spam kingpin
Posts: 5908
Joined: 22 Jun 2004, 04:51
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Villeneuve confims the rhumor : Bid for a 2011 F1 TEAM

Post by Flow » 22 Jul 2010, 16:21

VILLENEUVE JOINS WITH DURANGO TO LAUNCH BID FOR 2011 F1 TEAM
THE CANADIAN PRESS (7/21/2010 9:12:03 AM)

MONTREAL -- Jacques Villeneuve confirmed Wednesday he has joined forces with Italy's Durango in a bid to place a team in Formula One next season.

He also did his best to quell reports the team could be funded by private investors, including the son of Libyan president Moammar Gadhafi. A statement on the St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Que., native's website said all funding for the team comes from corporate sponsors. Reports in Europe have speculated that 37-year-old Al-Saadi al-Gadhafi or disgraced former Renualt team boss Flavio Briatore may be among the team's investors. "There are a number of rumours circulating at the moment and I wanted to clarify a few things before this gets out of hand," Villeneuve said on his website. "The team will be a joint venture with Durango, and based out of Italy. To be clear, right now all the money comes from corporate sponsorship and not from private investors." He added that he will make no further comment for now. Messages left with the 1997 F1 champion went unanswered. The 39-year-old Villeneuve is expected to drive one of the two cars for the new team if its bid is accepted. Durango had Villeneuve drive in the Speedcar Series in Dubai last year. It dropped out of GP2 -- an F1 feeder series -- last September due to lack of funding. Durango owner Ivone Pinton confirmed last week he would work with Villeneuve on forming an F1 squad. Two other bids are expected to be made for the right to place a 13th team on the F1 grid. That spot was to have been taken by the USF1, but the American team asked for its bid to be deferred before this season. FIA is expected to make a decision on the 13th team by the end of the month. Villeneuve has not raced in F1 since he was replaced by Robert Kubica at BMW Sauber 13 races into the 2006 season. Villeneuve, the son of Ferrari legend Gilles Villeneuve, won the 1995 CART championship and the 1995 Indianapolis 500 before jumping to F1 with the Williams team, where he won his only world championship. He won 11 times in 163 Formula One races in an 11-year career with Williams, BAR, Renault (where his boss was Briatore) and BMW Sauber. Since then, he has raced at the Le Mans 24 Hours and on other series. He is currently driving a few races for Braun Racing in NASCAR, and will attempt to qualify this week for the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis.

Also : http://www.jv-world.com/news_detail.htm ... ulation-11

HI ALL! HAVE A NICE SUMMER!!!
8) 8) 8)
NAR.F1 driver

User avatar
Craig Cookson
Posts: 194
Joined: 29 Mar 2006, 00:45
Favorite team: NAR
Location: Newcastle, UK

Re: Villeneuve confims the rhumor : Bid for a 2011 F1 TEAM

Post by Craig Cookson » 22 Jul 2010, 20:21

That's good news - hopefully the team will be accepted and they'll be on the grid next season.

At the moment I get the impression most of these new teams (the ones we have this season) and all the potential new teams for next season are constantly on the verge of falling apart. Hopefully that isn't the case though.
ForthRight

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests