The FIA has solicited bids for the final spot on the starting grid of the 2010 Formula One championship following BMW's decision to withdraw at the end of this year. According to Autosport, FIA president Max Mosley has sent a letter to seven teams who failed to get one of three spots in the initial round of bidding earlier this year. Those teams were asked to remain on a "reserve list" in case something opened up in the future.
At the time, there was a threat of a manufacturer-backed breakaway series. However, that threat is now gone after the teams signed a new Concorde Agreement last week. BMW-Sauber are believed to be still in contention for the spot and would likely get priority should Peter Sauber put together a rescue package to buy the team back from the German carmaker. Currently he holds a 20-percent stake in the team. Sauber said he was unable to secure a buyout before an August 5th deadline imposed by FIA for BMW-Sauber to sign on to the new Concorde Agreement. Among the seven teams believed to be still in the running for an F1 entry is Joan Villadelprat, who is behind the Epsilon Euskadi entry. He says even though their bid was rejected back in June, they have continued to work on the project. David Richards' Prodrive outfit is also said to be interested. Alex Wurz, who was behind the Superfund, entry is also believed to be on FIA's reserve list.
Italian outfit N.Technology recently announced it was launching legal action against FIA following its failed bid. They claim there were "irregularities and uncertainties" in the bidding process such as a requirement to run Cosworth engines in 2010. The hearing is scheduled for September 15.
Srouce : http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=287127
Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests