Massa almost same as Henry surtees

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Massa almost same as Henry surtees

Post by Flow »

He is lucky that hes not dead, not in good condition, but the replay is realy horrible when you see the part hit him straight in his face. That remind us the driver dead last week hit by a tire. That little part could of cross his head if it had hit Masse in middle of helmet glass. It seem to hit the front side of the helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2dssDICDoA

BUDAPEST, Hungary -- Officials say Felipe Massa is in "satisfactory condition" after emergency surgery on a "life-threatening" skull injury the Ferrari driver sustained in a violent crash in Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying. The department of defence said that Massa would be kept in intensive care overnight at AEK military hospital following the successful operation. "He is being cared to in intensive care and now he is in stable, satisfactory condition," the defence ministry said in a statement Saturday. The 28-year-old Massa also suffered a concussion, but was conscious and in stable condition when he was airlifted to the hospital, Ferrari said. Massa lost control and crashed into tire barriers when his helmet was hit by a car part on the track.
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Re: Massa almost same as Henry surtees

Post by Flow »

I took a low rez picture from a canadian sport website and resized the picture and highlight the helmet inetrior and you can see the damage done to his right eye (or Massa left eye) and the damage cause to his helmet.
Attachments
279114_original.jpeg
279114_original.jpeg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Here the retouch picture.
Attachments
279114_resize_Retouch.jpg
(747.76 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

Scary stuff, hope he will be ok !!!
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

2 relatively similar incidents (debris hitting helmets) within a week (hopefully with different outcomes), expect some things to change soon (most likely this winter though)...
2010 NA div. Admin
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Doctor are afraid of Massa left eye recovery, they cant say if it will be Ok or not.

Untill 10 days, they wont know how if he will recover 100% of the operation. He react good, and can move all his parts.
NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Massa is getting better, he hope to come back for Brazil GP. From now, its doctors that will dedice when he will come back.
Attachments
280532.jpg.jpeg
280532.jpg.jpeg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 6510 times
NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

Wow, that is a nasty looking cut on his head, I wonder if this will spark new helmet design? If that had been a little farther over, it might have killed him...
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Read SCHUBERTH REVISES F1 CRASH HELMET DESIGN from about a week ago. I'm reposting it here as that link will soon become unavailable:
f1-live.com wrote:The F1 helmet manufacturer Schuberth has reacted to the injury sustained by Felipe Massa with a revised model.

Michael Schumacher will debut the updated version, revealed in the pages of the German newspaper Bild, when he makes his return to Formula One at the forthcoming European Grand Prix.

Although Massa's carbon fibre Schuberth withstood the force of the 800 gram steel spring that struck at more than 265kph, the left visor mounting was knocked off.

Bild reports that Schuberth has reacted by adding a titanium disc to the mounting point.

"Felipe's visor only came off when the doctors pulled on it," said Oliver Schimpf, "but we have inserted a titanium disc at the transition from the visor to the helmet where previously there was only plastic.

"It is a reaction to the accident," he confirmed, explaining that the mounting is now twice as strong.

Bild said Schumacher's Schuberth RF1, with a slightly modified livery for his F1 comeback, costs €12,000.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
On a side note, a significant part of Massa's scars probably come from the surgery he had to remove broken bone pieces from near his eye.
2010 NA div. Admin