internet speed connection

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

internet speed connection

Post by Flow »

Our local provider have a new faster cable connection for public. Installation is in progress in our city. The price is not show up to now, need a quotation.

Basic Internet : 600 Kbps
* Download speed of 600 Kbps and upload speed of 128 Kbps
* Monthly data transfer of 2 GB combined (upload and download)

High-Speed Internet : 7 Mbps (this is the connection that i have...)
* Download speed of 7 Mbps and upload speed of 820 Kbps
* Data transfer capacity: 20 GB per month download, 10 GB per month upload

Extreme High-Speed Internet : 10 Mbps
* Download speed of 10 Mbps and upload speed of 900 Kbps
* Downloading and uploading capacity of combined 100 GB**

Extreme Plus High-Speed Internet : Up to 20 Mbps
* Download speed up to 20 Mbps and upload speed up to 1 Mbps
* Data transfer capacity: 20 GB per month download, 10 GB per month upload

NEW!!!, they call it TGV connection
Ultimate Speed Internet 30 : 30 Mbps
* Download speed of 30 Mbps and upload speed of 1 Mbps
* Monthly data transfer capacity of 70 GB combined (upload and download)

Ultimate Speed Internet 50 : 50 Mbps
* Download speed of 50 Mbps and upload speed of 1 Mbps
* Monthly data transfer capacity of 100 GB combined (upload and download)
NAR.F1 driver
Coffeemachine

Re: internet speed connection

Post by Coffeemachine »

Flow wrote:* Data transfer capacity: 20 GB per month download, 10 GB per month upload
?? sounds insanely annoying, why?
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

you can get more, but you will pay extra. As for me, i never watched my transfert data and never had to pay for it. I upload and download alot for business to FTP client. I was probably on edge aften, but no extra charge up to now. I think that we pay alot more than other here in Quebec, we have only 2 big provider, Bell (phone) and Videotron (cable). Maybe if more company can put more competition, price could lower. I think that we have here the most ratio of connectect house/people living here. Rebate are more on free few first month. We can all access to phone/internet/HDtv from both provider.
NAR.F1 driver
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
I agree that limited data transerfer is just wrong.
I don't know if I would change really as you got a decent upload anyway.
One thing that is bad is that they say 10 mbs up but only allow you one mbs up thats bull s...t or me.
How can they charge you for 10 mbs (or advertise it as so) but only give you 1 mbs.

Here we pay $60.00 USA but it is unlimted and what they advertise as up & down speeds we just about get.
There are always fluctuations but not much.

I guess in your list I don't see much advantage from speed to money.
the most important is upload speed in gaming and internet as in download do's not help since most downlaod sites always have a cap on how much data one can download at certain speeds.

How much do they chare is you do go over.?

Hitman
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

I have the High-Speed Internet : 7 Mbps (Download speed of 7 Mbps and upload speed of 820 Kbps) and i pay 65$/month. But since i use the Internet phone from the same provider, i have a rebate of 10$ (if im right) for combining services. But i dont use their Tv cable or HDtv, i use a Bell XpressVue satellite. The extra charge per gigabyte used is $1.50

In the US, you have probably more provider and more competition between them, witch alows you a "real" unlimited access. On my cell phone (HTC Touch), that is what i have, unlimited intenet connection (for 15$). I have realy no limit.

That connection give me the usage of 6 email boxes with antivirus and spam filters from email servers, 10 free hours of telephone access per month and MB for your personal Web page (but i dont use any of that).
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

1 thing, any of you can download at 30 or 50mbs? I cant, lol. That what suprised me at first. Yeah, the upload is still limited, but the down is incredibely fast.
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Ha! got it, 50mbs is $79 per month with a 12 month contact (no contract at $89 per month).
But the upload is limited to a full 1 mbs + 100 GO of limit per month.
NAR.F1 driver
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

they are upping a few houses over here to 100mbit, but i think they charge the same...its all routed by the Uni so we dont have to pay anything.
for my 10mb it would be around 25dollars/month up here i belive. hope they update me too :)
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

The TGV service (a.k.a. USI, "Ultimate Speed Internet", as they call it in English) might have been interesting if the upload speed were any better. Currently, considering the price and ridiculous quotas (relative to the download speed), it's not really attractive. For the technically-minded, this is pre-DOCSIS 3.0 service.

USI30 is 65$CAD with a 1-year contract while USI50 is 80$CAD (add another 10$CAD without contract). For comparison, HSI ("High Speed Internet") like me and Flow have is $40 with a 1-year contract IF you have TV service with them (add $10 or $20 without those options). Rumors are that with an increase of $1 at contract renewal, from March or April on, what was a "split" quota (20GB down/10GB up) will become a "joined" quota (30GB total down+up) and download speed will go from 7.1 to 7.5Mbps (big deal!). Not much of an improvement overall but the quota calculation is enough to make a difference regarding the password (or removal of it) on my practice server. I'd still gladly pay more to have more upload speed though (around 1.5 or 2Mbps would be a nice improvement).

The main reason why we're screwed around here is the nice CRTC (Canadian telecom regulators) protecting the monopolies of both phone and cable networks in a given area (i.e. there can only be 1 "wired" phone network and 1 cable network in an area). That was probably useful 30-40 years ago when the cable network was just starting to be deployed (it protected the companies's investment in their network) but at some point that has to stop. Sure, both phone and cable network owners now HAVE to give access to their network to "competitors" (actually, only "resellers" as they HAVE to use the original companies' networks) but the way they work around it is to charge big enough fees to the resellers so that nobody can hope to ever make money reselling the service (that is especially true for cable, a bit less for phone and that's the reason why there are far more companies offering DSL service than cable service, at least around here). Don't hold your breath for increased local competition anytime soon...
2010 NA div. Admin