2009 spec F1 cars

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.

2009 spec F1 cars

Post by Avatar »

Looking at the new cars (with the larger front wing and much smaller rear wing), I started to wonder about the balance - surely this type of set up would have massive oversteer problems?

If we put high front wing and low rear wing in a current F1 mod we get big oversteer, so I assume it would be the same with these new cars. I know the wing angle has a lot to do with it (separate from the actual size of the wing), but I'm surprised they can change the size of the front and rear wing this much and not have balance problems.

Am I missing something?
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Re: 2009 spec F1 cars

Post by Bilbo »

Don't forget about the new slick tyres. That probably helps balance things out...
2010 NA div. Admin
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

IMO I would think a rear wing that narrow would create some issues with rear grip.
They will probably have to run them a lot higher than normal.

Will be an interesting season thats for sure.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Post by Avatar »

Bilbo wrote:Don't forget about the new slick tyres. That probably helps balance things out...
I hadn't thought about the tyres, that's a good point.

I really hope the new cars do provide more overtaking and closer racing.
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Avatar wrote:I really hope the new cars do provide more overtaking and closer racing.
FIA and Berni hope same thing! :wink:
NAR.F1 driver
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

yeah i dont really think you can think of the grip generated from a wing in terms of width and/or height, since all the wings/fins are connected on its way rearward. Or was connected rather, guess they still are but not as much. so all those small fins/parts would lead more air into the rear wing/zones on the bodywork which, ...damn you may be right avatar :)

Also there are the (correct me if im wrong here) floor changes, which i would guess will affect the overall grip and balance a lot too
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

on a completely different note:

does anyone here play red alert 3? if you do, tell me so we can play a few network matches :)

Post by Avatar »

I'm not sure about the floor changes.

Maybe they'll just start using a high wing angle on the rear wing and quite a low wing angle on the front to balance it out. They do seem to have relatively high rear wing angles from the pictures i've seen of the new cars on track, although not many cars have been tested yet. We'll probably get a better idea from the test starting on Monday.

I don't have red alert 3 - normally i do play strategy games, but EA's new system of using 'install limits' have put me off buying their games now. :( The game is only £15 on Amazon though (UK) so I might be tempted with the cheaper price.
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

i actually downloaded it, but if its that cheap i'll consider buying it for sure. lots of fun to play against others. the cracked ra3 allows network play and with a small program called hamachi you can create networks with friends - you just create a room and log on basicly. great program that one, i recommend it!
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

RENAULT launched their 2009 contendar.
Looks very nice except that shark fin......eeeeekkkkkkk :shock: :shock:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/photos/2009 ... t_01.shtml
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Humm, different. My 1st impression is that visually the car seem heavy, cause of the big front nose, filled down to ground, and the back space is all filled, that make it look heavy. Hope it is only the look that give the impression.
NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

I love the look of the Williams, very cool looking car !!!
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
carrera

Post by carrera »

yo fellow racers,
Well I think this is how they should have done it in the first place.Keep the slick tires,make the back wing smaller and the front wing bigger.
They'll just use a steeper angle on the back and won't have to use much angle on the front.With a big front wing though you can really crank it up for places like Monaco or Hungary and can take it almost all off(angle) for places like Malaysia or Italy.I think this change will be better for the teams as now they won't be complaining as much about front grip.They will have plenty.As for Himachi kaffe.I have used that for a year already..excellent program.
carrera 8) 8) 8)
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

was searching around for some unis in the states to spend half a year...just for the fun of it, but i think it ended up with me not having the money for it - sadly. which reminded me of how lucky i actually am. have to pay the "tuition" for this half year within the week....30 dollars. hehe. which isnt too bad since you actually recieve 300ish a month just for studying.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

kaffemaskin wrote:on a completely different note:

does anyone here play red alert 3? if you do, tell me so we can play a few network matches :)
well i have it....but its just possible with hamachie to play it with me :P