Driving without aids

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Kaali

Driving without aids

Post by Kaali »

Taming the beast - driving without driver aids

A major talking point for the new season surrounds the arrival of the Standardised Electronic Control Unit, or SECU, and with it the elimination of driver aids such as traction control and engine braking systems.

The SECU enables the FIA to police an article of the regulations central to the ‘DNA’ of Formula One racing - that “the driver shall drive the car alone and unaided”. But, what should we expect as this new era dawns? And how difficult is it to tame a 2008-spec Formula One car? Double world champion Fernando Alonso and Renault team mate, Nelson Piquet Jr, explain…

“It is in the low-speed (second gear) corners that you notice the difference because that is where the traction control would normally kick in,” reveals Alonso. “That means you have to change your driving style quite dramatically. Last year we used to go straight to full throttle, but now we need to be gentler and feather the throttle.

“Another difference this year occurs when you get wheelspin because, in the absence of traction control, it becomes impossible to stop it - even if you back off the throttle. When you have wheelspin, the revs rise and you have more torque, which makes the wheels spin even more. Therefore, to deliver a good lap time, it is essential to avoid wheelspin through all parts of the corner, and that is not easy.”

Alonso also highlights the variation in steering inputs: “With traction control we used to get more understeer at the exit of the corner, but this is no longer an issue. Rather, from midcorner onwards, the car oversteers and slides more, which again influences your driving style and the racing line.”

The new regulations have also removed the engine braking systems (EBS) that used to moderate the locking of the rear wheels, and give greater stability, under heavy braking. It is the loss of this system, rather than the loss of traction control, that Piquet believes has the greatest impact.

“The biggest difference you notice with the 2008 cars is not the loss of traction control, but the absence of engine braking control because the car is much more unstable, especially on used tyres,” says Nelson. “When you look at the telemetry, the brake pressure is now much less compared to last year. With EBS you could brake much harder; if you did that without the electronics, you will simply lock up your wheels.”

Alonso echoes Piquet’s sentiments and emphasises the need to adapt set-up accordingly. “Without EBS you do suffer with locking of the rear tyres because stopping a car travelling at 300 km/h is not easy,” he explains. “You have to adapt the set-up of the car to compensate for the loss of all the systems. It will be down to the driver to adapt and I am convinced that as the season develops we will have forgotten what it was like to drive with these aids.”

And yet, despite all the changes, the speed of the cars remains almost unaffected. The loss of the driver aids represents a loss of between three and four tenths per lap, a difference that is unnoticeable to the naked eye. More important, perhaps, is what the fans now know they are watching: 22 of the world’s best drivers, in total control of the most demanding racing cars on the planet.

:roll: Why don't they just ask NAR drivers? I bet we can give them a tip or two how to setup the car :wink:
It's not hard, when you know how......
Drago(ITA)

Post by Drago(ITA) »

Ohhhh , finally someone who explained what happen and the real feel of driving a F1 car with no aids :) .
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

I cant wait to see the 1st race, the 1st corner with 22 no real NAR drivers... im shure some wont survive it!!! :mrgreen:
NAR.F1 driver
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

Speaking about feather the throttle: I remember Villenueve used to have a throttle that was set to be sort of an on/off button ... like he would push a bit and the throttle would be at full etc. If I remember correctly Barrichello do that too ... interesting how many do that and what effect it will have on how they drive ...
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Not many driver are left on track that know about the old days of F1 driving. Villeneuve was the best driver to make good start. Schumi was a good driver also. Coultard will have the impression of driving back in the past.
NAR.F1 driver
Drago(ITA)

Post by Drago(ITA) »

NOW , after the above Alonso's comment and after have seen how many driving errors the professional drivers do on real no aids F1 cars , i'd like to see who will have the courage to continue saying that F1 cars (without aids) are easy to drive............... :) .
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

Wow!!

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
Yes they now can see how much Traction control helped and made the car so much easier to drive.

Comments From Drivers
Well before I could hit the brake hard in to a corner and the TC would contol the rear no lock up no slide.
And
Coming out of the corner I could put the hammer down and again the TC would handle the power to the rear and the car would just take off.

Now we are driving the car
And you can feel the car and it's power one wrong move and you are sliding in to the sand or spinning.

Man it was just great to see the Practice and Qual
I could here (In my Imangeation) the radio come on and here (Drive that car you Bas....D) :lol:

Man you can see who has balls who do's not did you see Kubica keep the hammer down out of the turn that was awesome. If not for that he might of had pole.

A few hours away and we will see a great race.

Hitman 8)
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Iv learn few new thing for 2008 rule watching qualification.

Session Q1 is 20 minutes, Q2 is 15 and Q3 is 10, they must qualif with same amout of fuel as race for Q3, no change of fuel. Only other can change strategy to adapt.

Por Kimi, he is victims of new rule, you stop anywere on track in Q, and you are DQ of Qualif session.

The 3rd (backup car, what we call in french 'mulet') is no longer available. If you crash or brake your car, you just dont race unless you repair it...
NAR.F1 driver
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

Also, engine have to make 2 races, like before, but 1 blow wont be penalzied.

Gear box have to last 4 races, unless a penality will aply.
NAR.F1 driver
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

Flow wrote:Also, engine have to make 2 races, like before, but 1 blow wont be penalzied.

Gear box have to last 4 races, unless a penality will aply.
Yeah, you are right about the gearbox. About the engine part: as far as I remember the teams could blow one engine in Australia but not for the rest of the races ... not 100% sure though.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Code: Select all

f) Except during the last Event of the Championship season, each driver will be permitted to use a replacement engine without incurring a penalty the first time this becomes necessary during the season.
Article 28.4 of the 2008 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS. So, basically, the first replacement of the season is "free" no matter when it happens.
2010 NA div. Admin