New York trip, maby some help from you americans?

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Coffeemachine

New York trip, maby some help from you americans?

Post by Coffeemachine »

My family decided to do someting different this christmas, so we booked tickets to new york and booked a hotel in the emire state building/broadway-ish area... so i just wondered, does anyone know any good events (think we are there 22nd to 27th or someting like that). Or anything you should visit/do when you're there?

oh and also, my guess is train from newark (new jersey) to the central station will be quite smooth and easy to pull off eventhough we arrive around 9pm...or should we just take a cab?

anyone? :D
8) 8)
[12:19:47]Dropkick: somebody tried to mug me once
[12:19:59]Dropkick: but i was so drunk i did not understand
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Sorry, i only went to NY once, and it was not NY city.
NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

yo kaffe, newark isn't the nicest place in the world, lol, he careful !! I was in NYC once, for about 3 hours. It is really cool to see all of the stuff you have seen on TV your whole life. We went by the Ed Sullivan theater where David Letterman does his show, went by Madison Square Garden, went into the Empire State Building, to the 86th floor i believe, but it was at night so didn't get to see as much as i would have liked. I wish i would have had a whole day to walk around there, would have really been cool !!
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Like Steve, I went once to Manhattan for a trade show, a year or two before 9/11, and we got a few hours off to visit the city in the evening (got there one morning and had to leave the day after in the afternoon).

I only got to see the major landmarks that Steve mentioned, although I was lucky enough to watch the night city from the top (almost) of the Empire State building just as a rainstorm was about to begin. That gave us a quite dramatic view, almost as in a movie, and the wind and the tower movements it caused were VERY impressive as we could barely walk against the wind.

It was a bit weird walking in the streets of Manhattan because, despite never having gone there before, I was able to recognize many of the buildings/landmarks and it was like a recurring "deja vu" feeling. Seeing Times Square has to be experienced at least once in a lifetime even if you only spend a couple of minutes there.

It was quite sad that we couldn't have stayed one more day or even just a few hours longer to visit more things in NYC but it's sure I'll be going back someday...
Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

thx for the tips guys! i'll try to remember that deja vu thing, and see if i get it too :D

and woho, our hotel is a block away from empire state building AND broadway...whatever broadway is good for:S
aawil

Post by aawil »

It's going to be cold but make sure you do the central park thing. The metropolitan museum of art is also a must see. The also have one of those egyptian obelisks like in paris and london behind the met. Rockefeller Center will have a big christmas tree up which is quite famous this time of year. I'm not too familar with the train system there but you will probably take the path train. My advice would be to ask to make sure when you get there. Although it looks like you will need to switch trains as the red line goes to WTC.

http://www.newarkairport.com/
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/

aawil

Post by aawil »

St Patricks Cathedral is also worth a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patric ... ,_New_York

Coffeemachine

Post by Coffeemachine »

woho, thx a lot for all that info aawil.

not really worried about the trip tho, after all we know the language so we've been up against worse! (european country that begins with F and is non-english speaking... :) )