OFFICIAL TEST DAY FEBRUARY 26

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
klaazz

my server

Post by klaazz »

from now on my server will also use the formation lap as most seem to need to practize that.
it cant be that hard to drive a lap behind somebody and park in a box, but as A1GP team Japan has shown in mexicos last nights race, driving behind pacecar can be very dangerous.

have fun
Ruben Miranda
Favorite team: Ferrari

It went well

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello All
Well I so no lag but I was not there with 19 drivers. :( Phine call then dinner)pfff LOL

I do have a couple of ? for Bilbo and Steve B

As to how they where hosting.

I beleave Bilbo is hosting and racing on the same comp IE no Dedi server.

Where Steve b was runing a dedi server and loging in to race on the same comp.
With in my oppiuion would really task his comp and connection.

Also I think we should have been more paigent with Steve B and let him adjust a few things.
I say this because we new that Bilbos connection and comp will work well.
But we have not tested a secound or 3rd connection for back ups or any other unforeseen problems.
Not with standing Bilbos dedication to NAR as to host but I am sure he has a life and would like to be able to plan something other then hosting for every race in the season. Or what if something comes up and he just can not make it or hell wants a break.
MHO :D We should try and test a couple more connections.

Hitman 8)
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
klaaz

Post by klaaz »

i have been testing alot of options and found out its ok to run the dedicated server on the same pc as i race with.
Only needs a few changes to get it right.

step 1:
create 2 profiles. one to use for server and one to use as race client.

step 2:
find the server plr in the userdata folder/open it with notepad and scroll down to the bottom and find a line:

Active Sleep Time="0" // ms to sleep each loop if the game is the active app (-1 to disable). Consider setting to 1 or more if you are running a dedicated server on the same machine.

i have that set to :

Active Sleep Time="2" // ms to sleep each loop if the game is the active app (-1 to disable). Consider setting to 1 or more if you are running a dedicated server on the same machine.

also do the same on the plr file of the racer client you were planning to use to join server.

step 3 :
run rfactor , select the server player, goto settings and set internet speed on custom.
adjust the upload/download speed to 2/3 of your normal speed.
then select the player you wanna use for racing and set that to isdn like we always did in f1c.
Make sure to set grapics like visible vehicles a bit lower like max 8, and concider turning replays off<in replay fridge>

Hope this gets u all on the way a bit

ps before i hosted the dedi on an old extra pc and my fps is slightly better in that config
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

To be honest HITMAN my connection when I joined was great.

Also when I joined BILBO'S server with a 17 car grid was also great.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

If realy needed, i coud run a dedicated server on a computer at my job. I have a P4 3mhz, 1G RAM, and i have same cable connection as Bilbo and me at home.

I tough about it, but the things is, do i need to buy another game to run it?, If yes, then il wait later this season if realy needed. The only thing is that computer is at 5 minutes from my home. Could not be a problem unless the computer shut down.

But it coud help for an extreme backup
NAR.F1 driver
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Hey Hitman, thanks for having considerations for my life! 8)

After Sunday's test, we know both SteveB's dedicated and my non-dedicated servers can host a field of about 20 or so drivers (we still don't know what the exact limit is though). We also learned that Flow cannot host for more than 10 drivers with his current PC (since Flow has the same connection/provider as me, his PC has to be the bottleneck).

The fact is that when we decided to switch servers, SteveB was not around to change the settings and an international riot was about to explode due first, to the formation lap, and second, due to the usage of full flags rule (which I forgot to set differently on my server too).

The formation lap could have been just a little annoyance if people just would have gone with it, but our Venezuelian friends did not show lots of patience and they still really helped a lot by being present for our test.

The full flags rules problem is new to me. It looks like "Full flags" really means NASCAR-like flag rules, with lots of full-course yellows and racing-to-the-finish-line before the flag is actually thrown. While it does happen in real-life F1 (not like this though), I think it is exaggerated or too sensitive. It also looks like setting flag rules to "Black only" still has the "local" yellows out when someone is off-track and that's possibly what we want to use (to be investigated more). From what I read, rF v1081 may allow finer control over the rules and flags, but until it's out, I think we will have to make do with "Black only".

SteveB had his datarate set to the default (I think) 250kbps. I'm surprised that it did not seem to cause problem but possibly the game works around it or it does not do what I think it does. Nevertheless, as Klaaz said earlier, I think it can only help if it set to some "more real" values. I had mine set to 4600/720 (up/down) as a safe bet even though I always test at 4750/750 day in/day out in my every bandwidth tests (with less than 1% variation). Since my connection is rated theoretically as 5.1/800, I happened to set about 10% less. This may or may not be better than Klaaz's 2/3 formula above, the best values could actually depend on your connection's "stability". Given the way it's talked about in the multiplayer.PLR file, I wouldn't be surprised if the game reserved some headroom over those numbers anyways, so going too cautious is possibly just making for wasted bandwidth.

Those we the main observations I have made during the server test, with the addition that 19 drivers on the track make for a really crowded race, which is good as long as it does not end up as just a bigger pileup at T1... :twisted:
2010 NA div. Admin
Ruben Miranda

Ok

Post by Ruben Miranda »

Hello
Thanks for the info Bilbo.
Sounds like we should be good to go. :lol:

With You and Steve B and Flow and even me (I have yet to test mine) Will do soon. We should be ok for the season.

Hitman 8)
I might not be fast, But I am ahead of you.
Ruben Hitman Miranda
Steve

Post by Steve »

no, you do not have to buy another game Flow, you can install it, just don't activate it, and add all the tracks and mods, then you can use it as your dedficated server
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Thanks steve. Il give a try later.
NAR.F1 driver