rFactor essentials (FAQ)

Public topics not directly related to NAR, for example real F1 racing.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

rFactor essentials (FAQ)

Post by Bilbo »

As an rFactor newbie, I have decided to start this thread to concentrate the useful things everybody (especially coming from F1C) should know to make their rFactor experience more enjoyable.

Please do not post comments or discussions in this thread, just the useful stuff please. Feel free to start another thread for discussion.
2010 NA div. Admin
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Telemetry in rFactor:

1. Install the telemetry from findthelimit in the rfactor folder
2. A telemetry folder will be created there, with an exe file inside called f1_telemetry.exe.
3. Go to the UserData/Player Name Folder (where Player Name is your name in the game ) and open with the Notepad the Player Name.plr file.
4. Under [ DRIVING AIDS ] you'll see some "Data Acquisition" lines, put them like this:
Data Acquisition Version="1" // Version of vehicle data to write out
Data Acquisition Rate="8"
Data Acquisition In Race="1"
Data Acquisition EXE="f1_telemetry.exe"
Data Acquisition File="Telemetry\vehicledata.spt"
5. Save the PLR file
6. Now it will work like F1 Challenge. Your last run will be saved as vehicledata.spt that you will need to load with the f1_telemetry.exe file to see the laps you made with all the data about it.

Source: HERE.
2010 NA div. Admin
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

If you find yourself "fighting" to have the car go straight (on the straights), try setting the "Exaggerate Yaw" setting to zero. This setting is found under Controls -> Rates.

Also, if you find your head/view is bouncing around too much, lower the "Head Movement" setting (it's at the same place as above).

Thanks to Paul/rottenronny and SteveB for telling me.
2010 NA div. Admin
klaaz

Post by klaaz »

in the same section there's a setting for "look ahead".

i had it on zero first, but now ive put it to 100 and the car behaves much more plesant to me.
klaaz

Post by klaaz »

klaaz wrote:in the same section there's a setting for "look ahead".

i had it on zero first, but now ive put it to 100 and the car behaves much more plesant to me.
i am back reducing it to about 20 nowadays, was too hard on my brains lol.

another thing i notice in rFactor.
I alwayus tought my shitty black momo wheel was analog movement, but this game reports quite precise i believe ,and i notice the wheel reports in just really litlle steps.
So thats kinda hard on the long straights especially when overtaking.
I was used to never use any of the digital rate settings, but after much testing i believe putting 10% speed sensitivity on<controller rates> makes the wheel feel like its reporting analog again.
Kaali

Post by Kaali »

*G* too funny klaaz...

Well, I like that look ahead very much. I have it on 100% since day 1 with rF.

Interesting experiments you have done with the wheel I must say. I have everything else on standard settings, except that Exxagerate yaw thingy is set to 0. Maybe I should try to experiment with the wheel settings too.
It's not hard, when you know how......
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Re: rFactor essentials (FAQ)

Post by Bilbo »

Launch Control:

This is about MMG F1-07 but could work with other mods that support LC (it is car-dependant). Some drivers already knew and used it without bragging about it but some others (including myself) either did not know or did not think to use it. I guess the remaining ones do not care for it but this post is not for them. :twisted:

In the spirit of fairness, I'm sharing how to use it (it's the same as it was in F1 Challenge 99-02). First, to set it up:
  • In the game, go to Controller Settings -> Mappings
  • Find the action "Launch Control" and assign it an unused key or button
That's it!

To use it:
  • With the car stopped, put it in Neutral
  • Press and hold down the key/button you assigned to Launch Control
  • Push and hold the throttle down to the metal (it's probably better to wait until you're almost ready to launch before doing this, to prevent engine overheat)
  • When you're ready to launch (red lights turning off or green lighting up), release the Launch Control key/button and keep the throttle down
  • Hold on to the steering wheel (and your catheter) and remember to shit gears (it does NOT auto-shift like it did in F1Challenge)
LC turns off by itself when you release the throttle or push the brake pedal.

LC is tolerated in NAR (when the game/mod used supports it) mostly because it can't be easily disabled (you have to modify car files) or its usage controlled (much like the traction control issue in real F1, before the 08 season brought the standard ECU). It does add a bit of safety to the starts but can actually be dangerous if not used properly (be wary if you have to lift off the throttle a bit because the car in front is slower, if you're not lifting enough, you could end up giving it too much throttle with the LC off and have unexpected wheelspin).

It is up to individual drivers to decide to use it or not and to know how to use it properly. As with everything, practice makes perfect...
2010 NA div. Admin
Flow
Spam kingpin
Favorite team: Minardi
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Flow »

Thank you, i never tought to test it if it was possible to use. Seem that MMG didnt alow us to set it of or on, so we will use it. If i would of knowned sooner, my start sucks so mutch, trust me, from now, il fly like a rocket :roll: (or as same as all that will probably use it now :wink: )

Thank you Bilbo for the infos.
NAR.F1 driver
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hm, i didn't think we allowed LC anymore...
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

True steve, LC is not alowed by NAR, but you cant set it off, so since you cant proove that none use it, you have to let all use it them. This will make better start for all, dont you remember many bad start at begining of season, so mutch spun and crash on start, if we would of knowned.

We cant put it off, so... :)
NAR.F1 driver
Racer
NAR administrator

Post by Racer »

hi all,

Same go for F1rft in EURO Division,

we can use the LC to,

if u want offcourse, test it see if u needed,

Ingo 8)
Flow
Spam kingpin

Post by Flow »

True? F1FRT dont alow to set the LC off? I will change it on the forum then.
NAR.F1 driver