Same or different HDV files?

Public topics, anyone can read/write.

Do you want to use same or original HDV files?

Original, slow cars should be slow
37%
Same, everyone should have the same performance
63%

Total votes: 19

DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

Same or different HDV files?

Post by DanTheMan »

What do you guys think? Should we use the same HDV file for all cars, or should we keep the original HDV files?

The difference is that with the same HDV file for all cars there will be no difference in performance or handling between the different types of car. This is good for people in "slow" cars like the Minardi, but it does remove some of the realism of racing.
Move over!!!
Lavvy

Post by Lavvy »

the difference is that it removes NAR toaly and completely from what we all joined........last yr was a perfect season, i missed some of it of course but we all agree it went really well......so my question is this....."why change something when its working well".....if ur wife is puttin out the love and making a good meal, do u swap her for a new model......nope......i think u see my point!
bigmac777

Post by bigmac777 »

hi all,
I'm really worrying about all these posts about guys who have good cars and don't want all being in equality .
One thing is that all same species don't mean the fastest get faster and slowest get slower.... it means only driving ability is required and that's called the art of race guys.
If you mind about being close to reality that's good guys ,but ... who would be in schumi's car now !!! are you all in right seats ? after one so nice season who can tell it ? I see JORDAN has much money than FERRARI
If some are so fast in JORDAN (it's only example ....)do you all agree that JORDAN must have technical handicap so that FERRARI can win the champ ? IS THAT REALITY ? I think the problem is that drivers are not at the good seats and as no-one can decide who must be the best driver in the best car (as reality you want...) we should have all same car species.
Next I ask some to stop speaking for the others, as I noticed it's been written that 80% were against the HDV files, I was there when we talked about it and all we can say is one guy was talking 80% of chating time....
Perhaps the problem was not really HDV file :oops: too .... THINK ABOUT IT ....
FAIR PLAY FOR ALL
tackman

Post by tackman »

When me and my friends are watching F1 on TV,we always sit and wish that all cars would be the same so we got some good racing.
OF COURSE we should use the same HDV.

With the new rules that we can choose team by the end of the season,the faster will get faster and the slower get slower...bad idea!!!

And IF (i hope not) orig.HDV files should be used,my suggestion is that the best drivers from last season get the slowest cars,Samy and Tomas drive Minardi ,Killa and me(tackman) drive Arrows...and so on,but that wouldnt be as fun as we all have the same dynamite POWER as the Williams HDV give us.

I am in this league to get some nice thight racing toghether with you all nice guys,I think that its much more fun to see another car in the race,rather than solo drive for 30 laps.

I want HEAT,Iwant NERVES,I want COMPETITION,I want PASSION

VOTE FOR FREEDOM!! VOTE FOR THE SAME HDV.

YOURS TRUELY
tackman
LGL

Post by LGL »

Equal for all guys!!!!
Go for Williams HDV
:D
killahead
NAR founder

Post by killahead »

I think its great that we have some discussion on this matter here where all can read it.

To make this work for a long time I see it like this:
1: If we DO NOT drive with the same .HDV we cant have the fastest drivers pick cars first. That will only make the faster faster and the others more behind.

2: If we drive with the same .HDV the fastest drivers can pick cars first, it would only be "for fun" since all cars is equal.

Some may say "why try to be fast, the rewrd is a slower car". But I think thats the only way to get the best racing.

So we have to have this in mind. If we keep the HDV files the way they are we cant have the fastest drivers pick cars first. It sux...yes perhaps, but the racing will not get better if the best drivers get even better cars.
"I saw a red light and chose to stop, someone else saw a red light and chose not to," / Kimi Räikkönen
tackman

Post by tackman »

well spoken Killa! :lol:
So the voting is now about:best drivers in the worst car,propably the best way to get tight racing,ok for me..... :twisted: he whispers in my ear"NOOOOOOO I want BMW POWER" :lol:
Lavvy

additions

Post by Lavvy »

All i'm trying to say really guys, is that last season was great. Everyone was happy with the format(mostly) and everyone enjoyed the season totally!
Same HDV files for me means the racing will truely not be close!....its ok and VERY easy for guys to say "if i had a faster car i would be faster"....but Tackman/ T.Karlsson drive Jordans, and are weeks in weeks out at the front of the field!....put us all in the same cars, surely the racing would become less competative for the guys further down the field??.........
Also F1 is F1, what we are really doing is turning NAR into a stock car league, or formula Ford....
some of my best feelings in last seasons races were at Great Britian (my home track) were i put my much loved Sauber on 5th place in qualifying, it felt VERY good to put a slower car onto the front end of the grid with 17 cars.......
Most people probably already know i take great time and detail in car set ups and enjoy this aspect of the game greatly (the details ect), so next season when Karlsson, samy, tackman ect destroy the fields by 20-30 seconds a race will we then run same set ups too??.....
We all seem to want the same thing, COMPETITION....but i'm not exactly 100% sure this is the correct way to achieve it.....
Just all remember if a williams HDV makes u 1 second per lap faster, it will also make the fast guys 1.5 seconds per lap faster!.....so the gap wont close for some as much as others!
Anyway i rant too much and will follow what people want!, funny though when i'm in rooms with people they say totally different things to me than they write here on the forum....seems pier pressure runs deep.
And for the people who think its only because i have a Ferrari already (dumbies), i learn this game in williams for 7/12months, i have good setups for it and iam far quiker in a williams at many tracks!.....also its no secret i was Suaber last season and liked the car greatly....
SamyPho

Post by SamyPho »

Hi ,happy new year for everybody!!

Well,about HDV,I know is not a easy question,there´s good and bad points in both solutions,so I understand is difficult to have a 100% definitive answer.But for me,,same HDV for all is the fastest way to get a equal championship,in this way we´ll see who are really the best drivers,and then,next season we can use the option of putting the best ones in slower cars.I mean is difficult to make a drivers ranking based in a championship with the original HDV..so,for me the best solution is the same HDV for all,at least this season.

See you mates

Samy
Alx

HDV...

Post by Alx »

Hi all and thanks for some good exciting racing! Big thanx to killa for letting me join.

Lavvy...you say "Also F1 is F1, what we are really doing is turning NAR into a stock car league, or formula Ford.... "
Since I compete in Formula Ford I have to destroy your illusion that just because your in a championship where you have "equal" cars the cars are equally quick. The best teams win, no matter what drivers (within reason) they get. Why?

SET UP SET UP SET UP.

Lets all use the same .hdv and work on our setups! LG L is still my team mate at Arrows and we will develop our car together!

Equal equipment means its not only the quickest and most consistent driver that wins, but also the one who can SET UP the car!

....and if not I am quite happy with my Arrows, its nice on tires... :)
a little bit sideways is always quicker
Lavvy

a good point alx!

Post by Lavvy »

Yup for sure thats true Alx, i was speaking more on the side of equiptment!....But please check my other message, it maybe an answer we all would be happy with i feel!......
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Hey guys. I really don't care either way but it seemed to me last year the faster guys were out front anyway, at least in the 2 races I actually participated in :? . If it's margin of victory we are worried about then we should use the original.hdv files but otherwise it might make more sense to equal the cars out to make it a true driver's championship.
Ferdi

My opinion..

Post by Ferdi »

First of all;"HAPPY NEWYEAR!!!" :)

I choose for original HDV files.
If we use original we don't get "mismatch" errors in game.
If we all use the same HDV file nobody could check if this HDV file is the original Williams HDV file. It is possible to power up the Williams HDV file, so it won't be fair either...

So, choose original HDV files!

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: My opinion..

Post by DanTheMan »

Ferdi_FRT wrote:I choose for original HDV files.
If we use original we don't get "mismatch" errors in game.
If we all use the same HDV file nobody could check if this HDV file is the original Williams HDV file. It is possible to power up the Williams HDV file, so it won't be fair either...
This is not true. We can change the HDV file and still have the server verify that it is the correct HDV file.

This is the way it works:
1. Server starts up and calculates a checksum for each HDV file on the server.
2. Client connects and reports the checksum (calculated using the same algorithm as the server) for the HDV file it is using (which of course depends on what car you have choosen).
3. Server compares the checksum from the client with the checksum it calculated on startup for that car's HDV file.
4. If the two checksums don't match the server complains about "HDV mismatch".

So the simple fix is to replace all the HDV files on the server with the HDV file NAR chooses to use. Then it is up to each person connecting to the server to make sure they have replaced the HDV for their specific car with the NAR-approved HDV file. This way the server will be able to verify that everyone is using the correct HDV file and nobody will be able to cheat unless they actually hack the F1 2002 executable (which they can do with original HDV files as well).

I have even written a small utility to help you change the HDV files by just pressing a button or two. Most people will want to change back to the original HDV files so that they can race on other servers without being accused of cheating. Unfortunatly the utility was too much of a quick hack, and several people have reported problems. It does not work on Win9x, and at least one person could not run it on XP. I will make it work, but since I'm pretty busy at the moment I can't promise that it will be ready for the first race (I hope to debug it this week, but no promises).

Once debugged so it properly handles the files I will also include the, already almost finished, functionality to locate private servers so people don't have to post IP-numbers here on the forum. It is a very simple client-server application where whoever hosts a server starts the application and presses a button. This reports to a server of mine that a game is in progress. Users wanting to join just start the same application and press search. The application then contacts my server who responds with a list of servers currently available. If only the day had 36 hours... :wink:

Your resident hacker,
DanTheMan
Move over!!!

Post by Guest »

Same got my vote :twisted: :twisted: