rfactor 1 and/or rfactor 2?

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Banjo
Favorite team: Ferrari
Are you a spam bot?: No

rfactor 1 and/or rfactor 2?

Post by Banjo »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here but know patr (Bilbo) for some time (we were playing papyrus nascar racing game in 96-97 :))

I was looking to get into rfactor and found this site.

Just need some advice on which version to get: rfactor now, and later rfactor 2 when it is ready. Or just rfactor 2.

is it worth getting rfactor? I also have an average pc (athlon x2 2.4gz, 3gig ram, geforce 9800gt).

I just downloaded and installed rfactor demo to play around with it.

thanks,

Benoit
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Re: rfactor 1 and/or rfactor 2?

Post by Bilbo »

Hey Ben, long time no see! Nice to (finally) see you around! :wink:

As of right now, we haven't announced anything league-wise yet for the next season.

I'm not sure how rF2 would run on your system but rF1 would certainly run great as your system as it's very similar to what I had until X-mas (I just got a new killer PC). Right now, you can't go wrong very much with rF1 because of the incredible amount of cars and tracks immediately available for free, although CAD$48 (@Trymedia) for a 6-years old game would be a bit much to my taste as it's most likely that you won't play it for the next 6 years when everyone has switched to rF2...

If you're planning on upgrading your PC soon, then you may consider rF2, as long as you keep in mind that it's currently a beta and doesn't have many cars and tracks yet (although that could change quickly, a lot of people have started work on rF2 mods already) and the next beta releases may include more official cars (a LOT of cars are promised for the final release).

Sorry for not really answering your question... :wink:

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need help with rF1/2 or have more specific questions (or wanna go for a beer! :twisted: )
2010 NA div. Admin
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Hi Banjo,

Nice to meet you. :D
I hope your not as fast as Bilbo or I'm in even more trouble..... :evil: :evil:
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Hello Pat and Steve,

I'll probably get rf2 since I will probably upgrade pc this year and I may have the minimal req to run it.

Meanwhile I am playing a bit with the rf demo to get familiar to the tracks....

Just to reasure you steve, I am totally rookie on this game... I just played few years of RBR and I need to adapt the driving style a bit :-)

I am always looking for the handbrake and it feels weird to pass cars (with 2 of my wheels on the grass)

cya,

Benoit
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

If you buy rF2 and want some multiplayer action, make sure you join the NAR server, unoriginally called "NAR Practice" (you should get very low latency :twisted: ). It's currently running the Renault Meganes, they're fun cars to drive (RWD) and the Mills track is not very hard to learn. Just stay away from the grass and gravel pits! :wink:
2010 NA div. Admin
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Good, ill try this maybe tonight.

I've played the megane on rbr, they are fun...

another thing to adjust, I have no copilot :D. Sometimes I forget to break.

Is the megane default setup good?

Ben
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Banjo wrote:Good, ill try this maybe tonight.
I'll try to keep an eye on the server, if I don't fall asleep first! :oops:
another thing to adjust, I have no copilot :D. Sometimes I forget to break.
Also, be careful at first. The grip levels are very low at first on a green track and cold tyres. The tyres get up to temperature after a few laps but the track can take a long while to "rubber in" if you're alone (20-30 laps) and it DOES make a difference.
Is the megane default setup good?
That depends on who you ask and your driving style. I find it good enough for the Mills track, I'm still using it unmodified and can do low 1:08s. I've had a harder time adjusting my steering wheel, I used 270 degrees of rotation on my G25 wheel to drive modern F1s in rF1 in the past but I found that I prefer 300 degrees in rF2 and will probably rise it more again. It could be that I missed some other settings though, I haven't spent that much time on track in rF2 yet (maybe 2-3 hours total)... Many people suggest moving the brake balance a bit forward if you have problems at first.
2010 NA div. Admin
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

good news steve, I am not able to go below 1:11 on mills ;)

will need some practice.
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Banjo wrote:good news steve, I am not able to go below 1:11 on mills ;)

will need some practice.
Hahahahahaaaa I haven't even tried those cars or rFactor2 yet so you have me beat......
The extra competition is always a good thing banjo, happy you are here with us. :D :D :D
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN