Rfactor 2 beta....

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Rfactor 2 beta....

Post by Bilbo »

... appears to have been released!

They also seem to have some activation issues due to too much traffic so be careful!
2010 NA div. Admin
Steve

Re: Rfactor 2 beta....

Post by Steve »

Downloading now...will probably go with the lifetime deal, I believe it is like $85..remember, you also have to download the mod files in order to have any content. Link----> http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Peter Sojda

Post by Peter Sojda »

Did someone get it work without pay ? Beta it's free or not.. I downloaded and installed it, but I can't start it :roll:
SCUDERIA FERRARI F1 TEAM
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

ISI just released it and there are updates already........lol
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Steve

Post by Steve »

I am pretty sure i did some single player against AI cars before I paid, but i think if you want to race online in the beta, you have to pay. The good thing is that you get an extra 6 months online access if you pay for the beta. I just did the normal payment, was thinking about the lifetime option, but decided against it.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Peter: The beta is not free. You have to buy a licence before you can use it, but the licence is good for 18 months instead of the official 12 months it will be at release to cover the time spent in beta. I'd expect that if somehow they spend more than 6 months in beta, they will extend the licence period of those who have paid. That's unless you buy the "lifetime license" already and stop caring about licence expiration...

SteveB: I sure hope they will release updates as often as possible given that we're paying to be beta testers. Unlike a free beta, there's not much point for ISI to let us suffer any bug for longer than needed.

Edit: Sorry, I started this post before Steve replied but got distracted. :oops:
2010 NA div. Admin
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Steve wrote:I just did the normal payment, was thinking about the lifetime option, but decided against it.
I went with the lifetime license not so much to save on long-term cost (time will tell if it is actually a good deal or not) but just to save on the annual renewal hassle and having to think about it.
2010 NA div. Admin
Steve

Post by Steve »

To all of you that bought the beta, list your in game names in this thread, mine is Steve Parker. Not sure if you can change it. Maybe we could set up some test runs on the weekends....

I am not getting the performance i had hoped, but it is running good "enough" for now. I just did a pretty major upgrade to my system, Phenom II X4 970 processor, over clocked to 3.6 ghz, 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 8, and a Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, and unlocked shaders to 6970 specs, also overclocked the card a bit. I get about 60 FPS with in game settings pretty much maxed, and 2 X AA, 4 X AF. Hopefully they will optimize it a bit to ramp up performance, on most tracks in rf1 I am getting well over 200 FPS with settings maxed, 8X AA, and 16 X AF
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

I'll show either as [NAR]Bilbo or Patrick Roy, depending on which shows up in MP (haven't tested that yet).

As for performance, with everything maxed out (as far as I can remember, no AA but 16x AF, HDR + all reflections on) at 1920x1200, I'm getting anywhere between 80-130 FPS at Monaco on an Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz (little OC), 8GB RAM and a GTX580 (not OC'd yet). Running smooth here.

I should have my server online next week as I'm very close to my BW limit right now (thanks Steam holiday sales) and I have to wait for my quota to reset on Monday as I don't have any network usage metrics yet for rF2.

Edit: Getting 120-150 FPS in Malaysia.
2010 NA div. Admin
Steve

Post by Steve »

Try the Meganes at Mills, and let me know what your performance is like Bilbo. Seems a lot of people are having stuttering problems with that combo, even though the FPS are fine. I smoothed mine out a lot by cutting out Edge Detect and Super Sampling for the AA. BTW, in MP AND SP it looks like your "real" name shows up, not nickname.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

I just tried the Meganes at Mills "Outer Loop B" without changing any setting and I get 85 to 130 FPS. I didn't notice any stuttering but then, I was in the sand a lot before I managed a clean lap (far from a fast lap, I'm not at ease yet with my wheel and/or car setups in this game).
2010 NA div. Admin
SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

WOW!
You two have great PC's and you only getting that FPS
I am in big trouble then.....lol

Have you tested the weather?
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Steve

Post by Steve »

Strangely, rain doesn't seem to affect FPS for me. I have found a few tweaks to help with frame rate, in game, I turned off road reflections, and environment reflections, and it helped quite a bit... If you run an ATI/AMD card, turning off Super Sampling in the AA helps a lot too. Now I am getting respectable FPS and pretty smooth gameplay after tweaking the settings. Plus, I am sure once they release the full game, it will run a LOT better. Remember, it IS still in first public beta, lots of tweaking will be done I am sure...

A few screenshots I took...

SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Thanks Steve.

This may be a stupid question but are the graphics better than rF 1?
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah, they are. But, so far running it with all the bells and whistles on isn't easy, haha. And some features are not enabled yet. I did a night rain race at Malaysia yesterday, and it looked REALLY good, here are a few shots from that.

SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

WOW!!!

Looks awsome.

I have been reading the tutorial for track moders and it is amazing what can be done with the tracks now.
I will be testing some things with my tracks to see if I can get the new stuff working with them and
try to get it in game.

I have installed the beta but haven't bought it yet.
Is there a Game Data folder installed after you buy the game because right now i just have a locations folder.
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Steve

Post by Steve »

The structure of the game is different than rf1 for sure..there will be two different places for rfactor2, the "core" of the game is in program files, locations, sounds, vehicles, rfm, talent, UI, nations, etc. are in "My Documents/rfactor2"

One more shot ( testing out a new host, I believe I got a trojan from imageshack )

SteveB
NAR administrator

Post by SteveB »

Thanks for the info Steve
I better buy rF2 soon and find out how to get
Tracks in game.......eeeekkkkkk!!!
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Racer
NAR administrator

Post by Racer »

Steve wrote:To all of you that bought the beta, list your in game names in this thread, mine is Steve Parker. Not sure if you can change it. Maybe we could set up some test runs on the weekends....

Yooo,
About the names u can change it if u like, i saw this on rf2 Forum. dont forget to save real files.

go to local disk users,username,appdata,roaming,.rfactor, rfactorname open this in note pad there will be 3 lines delete them all put your race name you want in one line down from top save it then goto properties of the notepad file and change to read only and viola it works, only your name will show when you launch game, as soon as you join server it will be your new race name
Last edited by Racer on 15 Jan 2012, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Racer
NAR administrator

Post by Racer »

Looking good rf2,
i must say that the physics looks and feels bad for what we had with rf1, cars are behaving bad, when u loosit u loosit lol :)
Rain tyres is not good, i saw alot of Cars flying in the corners using Rain tyres including myself.
i get same performance in Rain with slicks.
it is Raining even in the garage, but u dont see rain on the screen from Cars,
no splashing from water from the tyres,
i gues they keep somethings for the release.