Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

NA 2011 Australian GP race reports

Post by Bilbo »

The server replay and results files can be downloaded here:

Qual results: http://nar.kicks-ass.org:8086/narresult ... a_Qual.xml
Race results: http://nar.kicks-ass.org:8086/narresult ... a_Race.xml
Replays: http://nar.kicks-ass.org:8086/narresult ... tralia.zip (9.8MB, contains race and qual. replays)
Web-stats: Click here for stats!

Thanks to all who participated!
2010 NA div. Admin
Steve

Re: NA 2011 Australian GP race reports

Post by Steve »

Over shot a corner, stalled my car in the gravel :(
I may be slow, but at least I'm consistantly slow !
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Pretty good race for me. I was surprised twice to qualify in pole position as I thought someone on 3 stops would have got it then I was surprised with my time as I was aiming for a mid-high 31 and got a 31.1 (on a 2-stop strategy).

Start of the race was a bit intense and as is tradition for me, if I start on pole then something happens to me on lap 1 (usually on my own). I saw SteveB get a good start on me in my mirrors and I tried to give him some room on the inside but somehow we collided (I haven't watched the replay yet, sorry if it's my fault) and I was sent spinning in the grass at T1/T2. I managed to not hit the wall but ended up dead last (a position I'm just too familiar with).

It was fun making my way through the field, especially since I had shared my setup with everyone so it was kinda gratifying to be able to catch up. I took maybe 1 or 2 optimistic chances but they were safe and without consequence to anyone. I wanted to catch the leaders quickly as I knew from practice together that they were quite fast. Juan had a cursed car tonight (be careful with those voodoo incantations!) so he was nice to let me by. I was relieved to see that SteveB was apparently on a 3-stop strategy but I was sad to see him spin near the pit entrance as I was closing to about 5 seconds behind him.

I had my humanitarian moment near the end of the race (maybe 3-4 laps from the end) when I saw Erick stuck in the sand near the parking lot and I noticed that he did not get out of the car. Given that by that time I had 1 lap over everyone, I thought I might as well try to help him get unstuck but it was no use, his car wasn't moving so I resumed my race before breaking or stalling my own car while Juan was waiting for us (nice). It's sad for Erick to miss the points by just 2 laps (90% rule) but it was still a nice effort.

Thanks everyone, it was fun while it lasted.

NOTE: League stats for both divs will be posted tomorrow night as I'm just shot now (sorry Carrera :wink: ).
2010 NA div. Admin
carrera

Post by carrera »

Hi all.
I made the mistake of taking some wing off the back of my car and paid the price.
I was about the same speed as Juan i think.Around the 1.32s or so.Watched everyone race for a bit
and saw Juan struggling with grip.HAd to use my own setup because Bilbos did not agree with me.
And then I changed it at the last minute like a doughhead and out of the race i went with 3 wheels.
Not the best start but Malaysia may be more kind i hope.
carrera 8) 8) 8)
Quote"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer .The end""
SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

I missed your set there Bilbo......

CONGRATS to Bilbo for the win and to Juan's podium.

It's a McLaren season this year....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I knew I shouldn't have even attempted this race but I thought why not.

Qualy session I got lucky and was 2nd on the grid.

Race start was great, I had a drag race with Bilbo to T1 I think I nudged him off the track sorry Bilbo.
In P1 and pulling away from Juan nicely then after my pit stop all hell broke loose tagged walls twice and the last one was when I touched the wall
exiting the last corner onto the front straight I had enough and exiting T1 I kept it straight and blasted into the wall making sure I couldn't get back to the pits
ESC!!!

Sorry to hear what happened to Erick :(

Thank you to all who participated
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

SteveB
NAR administrator
Favorite team: Ferrari

Post by SteveB »

I watched the replay and you were starting to turn in when I guess you saw me and tried to avoid hitting me
but I already locked up and was sliding your way so I would say it was my fault and I am sorry.

I couldn't concentrate after that because I thought I ruined your race and I knew I didn't deserve to win or be in P1
so I tanked it. :)
FORZA FERRARI !!

2011 NA DIV ADMIN

Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

No worries, I could have taken a still wider line in there myself. I knew from my mirrors that you had taken an advantage on the start but you were in my "front blind angle" (in front enough to be out of my mirrors but not enough in front (or just too far to the side) that I could see you, maybe it's a sign that I should finally buy a widescreen monitor?) until I saw your nose pointing my way at the last minute.
Steve B wrote:I couldn't concentrate after that because I thought I ruined your race and I knew I didn't deserve to win or be in P1
so I tanked it. :)
You needed not do that for me, it's part of racing unless it's done on purpose or repeatedly...
2010 NA div. Admin