Connection problems

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Craig Cookson
Favorite team: NAR

Connection problems

Post by Craig Cookson »

Over the last few weeks my (not so broad) broadband connection has been getting worse - it seems to be cutting out a lot more than it used, and i just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to fix it or what could cause it?

When it does 'cut out' (stops working) it usually starts working again quite quickly, normally within one minute, but obviously that is no good for online racing. My connection also seems to take longer to 'connect' when I first turn on my modem/router thing - the internet used to be ready to use by the time my computer booted up, but now it takes a good 2 or 3 minutes longer.

I'm not very technical when it comes to routers and connection settings but I have checked the settings that are built into my modem/router and they seem okay.

I was wondering if simply buying a better router could solve the problem (the one I use is the one that came as part of my TalkTalk package), but right now I don't really have spare money to buy a new one and test it out.

Thanks for any advice.
ForthRight
Mr G

Re: Connection problems

Post by Mr G »

You might find it is your provider talk talk i was with tiscali but they sold out to talk talk and i started getting connection lost at china race I sent them a shitty email and now its all ok :D ( I hope it last).

But they will send you a replay saying try this try that !!!!!! so contact your provider see what they have to say or suggest :D
NAR Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

If you have a modem/router that you got from the provider ask them to send a new one.

I have had a problem to with cut outs/ this was in 2007 2008 i think, and i was convinced it came from the modem/router. So i called them, said them that i tried some things and that i was convinced it was the modem/router. They sended me a new one and after that it has been working ok for me, i dont know if all providers do this but i would insist on it and be angry like G says most of the time this works.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Craig Cookson
Favorite team: NAR

Post by Craig Cookson »

Thanks - i'll try getting in touch with them. I haven't done that so far as I assumed it would be a waste of time and they would simply tell me to try basic things, but if they can do something else it'll be worth it.

I was also with Tiscali before they changed to TalkTalk - it was alright when they first changed over, but recently i'm having lots of problems.

Thanks again.
ForthRight
Jools
Favorite team: Williams
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Jools »

As you guys stressed the need for quality wheel. I have always stressed the need for quality internet if you're going to game online. I've always looked for the better reputation rather than the cheapest price when it has come to picking ISP and I never use the ISP own modem or router. I've always stuck to Netgear routers.