Need a new wheel

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
Jools
Favorite team: Williams
Are you a spam bot?: No

Need a new wheel

Post by Jools »

Got my wheel back around 2004 so it's time for a new one. I don't have much money to spend so I was looking at any recommendations.

Currently have the Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP. This has suited me fine all this time. I notice what I imagine is its direct replacement the Formula Force™ EX. That would probably be fine for me.

But does anyone have any suggestions?
gregor vodicar
Favorite team: Red Bull

Re: Need a new wheel

Post by gregor vodicar »

I had this wheel before:) it's nice one, but if you will buy another one please make a biger step! For sure everone who ever tryed g25(27) would say buy it, because it realy is lot better than wingman:) If it's to expencive for you i would consider about DFP or even better thurstaster f430 wheel. But i would prefer g25 or g27. There are also fanatec wheels which are also good and if you have too much money you can stil try frex for about 1500€:)

See you;)
Jools

Post by Jools »

Well I wasn't looking for an upgrade necessarily I've just worn my wheel out. But I may be convinced by your testimonials :]

Yes I looked the G25 and it is very nice, had a go on a mates one but it's a bit pricey, I'm putting funds towards a whole new gaming rig and I need more money for processor and graphics card than the wheel.

I'll look at your other suggestions though thanks!
gregor vodicar
Favorite team: Red Bull

Post by gregor vodicar »

well...f430 would be the right wheel for you than;) not very exepncive but stil realy good, and looks realy awesome:)

here you can see a preview;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaxncG3rZE
Craig Cookson
Favorite team: NAR

Post by Craig Cookson »

I would recommend the Logitech Driving Force GT (it is listed as a PS3 wheel but works fine with PC).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Drivin ... 357&sr=8-1

The F430 is a good wheel, but it comes with the same old Thrustmaster pedals they've been using for a few years - I always found those pedals to be awkward to use.

I much prefer the Logitech pedals as they felt more comfortable and seemed more accurate. This might just be personal preference though.

When it comes to lap times good pedals are much more important than a good wheel.
ForthRight
dutch power
NAR administrator

Post by dutch power »

G25 or DFP, you can spend money on a good computer but if you are a sim fanatic a good pc is useles without a decent wheel/pedals. :D
These days it shouldnt be that hard to get a g25 for a reasonable price though they have dropped in price just need to look out for a good one, they there.

As craig says, pedals is what realy matters however in both case G25 and DFP are good.

Anyway just depends on how much time you wanna spend on sim activities. If you are verry active and the rig will be used a lot i wouldnt save on a cheaper wheel i think, then i want to have something decent. If im not using it so much then a cheaper wheel will do, but i cant realy give other examples of good wheels as im using a G25 for about 2,5 to 3 years now and im happy with that one no problems so far as well.
Regards,
Mark Aalberts

#99 Greg Moore april 22, 1975—October 31, 1999 (you will never be forgoten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxOecWC ... re=related)
Jools

Post by Jools »

Been three years since my last computer and it runs rFactor fine but it's stuggling with the new BattleField Bad Company game, Dragon Age :Origins. I know Crysis 2 will have it on its knees.

I see the DFP on Amazon is about half the price it is on the Logitech site so I may well go for one of them, but I might hold off until after the first race to see if it's worth me going for the wheel. If I'm completely hopeless then no amount of wheels or pedals are likely to help :)

I like to sample from the many different genres that gaming has to offer so I have to share out the time to each hehe.
Bilbo
NAR administrator

Post by Bilbo »

Depending on the rest of your PC components, it could be worth it to just upgrade your video card (if your current power supply is good enough) and get a better wheel. You'd add a year or two of life to your current PC and make for more enjoyable racing.

From my personal experience, every time I have upgraded my wheels (Thrustmaster T2, ActLabs ForceRS + Performance pedals then my current G25, all good wheels in their time), I was beating my PB times on the first night or so, usually just a few laps after getting them configured properly. So I'd say don't underestimate the effect of a good wheel (and pedals, as the others have said before me).
2010 NA div. Admin
Jools

Post by Jools »

I used to upgrade bits and pieces to my old PCs but last time built a completely new system from scratch and it has been a much better experience. The leap in performance over my previous rig was so much that I'll definately do it again.

But you have convinced me to seriously look at which wheel and pedals I get. I think I will still wait a few races to get an idea of how much help they'll be though before making my choice.
Jools

Post by Jools »

Have ordered a

Logitech Driving Force GT

+ some Dust filters for cooling fans (we have parrots)

oh and

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V
ASUS GTX260 896MB DDR3 Dual DVI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
Antec EarthWatts 750W Modular PSU - 80plus Certified 9x SATA 4x PCI-E
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Western Digital WD6402AAEX 640GB Hard Drive SATAIII 7200rpm 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English
Sony AD-7240S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM

*laugh*