NARSpy version 0.3 available

Public topics, anyone can read/write.
DanTheMan
Site administrator
Favorite team: Red Bull
Are you a spam bot?: No

NARSpy version 0.3 available

Post by DanTheMan »

A new and hopefully less bugg-riddled version of NARSpy is now available for download here:

http://daniel.zapto.org/F12002/NARSpy_v0.3.exe (197kB)

It is an installer, so you can choose to open the file directly from your web browesr and the installation will start.

Changes include better error handling, support for browsing to the F1 2002 install directory, VEHICLES directory and GAME.GDB file. Once the install directory is located it will parse the CONFIG.INI file to try to determine the correct path for the VEHICLES dir and GAME.GDB file. You can also manually type in the location in case the utility fails to identify the correct paths.

Please install this utility and try it out! Post questions, bug-reports and success stories here on this thread!

Version 0.3 fixes the problem with "Access Denied" errors when the installed HDV files or the GAME.GDB file are write-protected.

/Daniel "DanTheMan" Eriksson
Last edited by DanTheMan on 14 Jan 2003, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Move over!!!
Lavvy

bug

Post by Lavvy »

One or more files failed to be copied correectly when installing game gdp....i located it.....however i do have the modified file so no biggy, jus letting you know
Lifes a bitch, then you marry one.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

:?:
Ergmm.... What kinda file is it?? What's it doing?? :?

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

It allows you to replace the HDV files with a click or two - this will be necessary when racing in NAR this season since we will all be using the same HDV for all cars. The utility is especially useful for people running servers, but normal users will benefit also because it makes managing the HDV files easier.

It also allows you to replace the GAME.GDB file with a modified file that provides 1439 minutes of practice for each session (instead of 60). This allows whoever runs the server to start it and forget about it for up to a day before he needs to press "Next Session".

/Daniel
Move over!!!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Thx for explanation. I'm 'up-to-date' now :)

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Re: bug

Post by DanTheMan »

Lavvy1 wrote:One or more files failed to be copied correectly when installing game gdp....i located it.....however i do have the modified file so no biggy, jus letting you know
So does replacing the HDV files work? It is a biggie because it should work!

Does it correctly identify the install directory of F1 2002? Does it correctly identify the path of the VEHICLES directory? Does it correctly identify the path for the GAME.GDB file? What does it say when you check the installed files?

Where did you install NARSpy? How are you launching it? Launching it with the working directory set to anything except the directory where NARSpy was installed is not supported (it needs to find the original files that I ship with NARSpy). Installing NARSpy in the F1 2002 directory is not supported.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

Ferdi_FRT wrote:Thx for explanation. I'm 'up-to-date' now :)
So, does it work for you or haven't you tried it yet?

/Daniel
Move over!!!
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

NARSpy does not work on NT4, but since F1 2002 also doesn't work on NT4 I don't see this as a problem.

However, it also does not work on Win95. I hope nobody is using Win95! If you are you really should upgrade!!!

/Daniel
Move over!!!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

So, does it work for you or haven't you tried it yet?
I haven't tried yet Dan. I'll let you know.

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Re: bug

Post by DanTheMan »

Lavvy1 wrote:One or more files failed to be copied correectly when installing game gdp....i located it.....however i do have the modified file so no biggy, jus letting you know
Lavvy, I have located the problem that most likely is affecting you (many thanks to Killahead who also had problems and helped me debug them!)

The problem seems to be that in some installations of F1 2002, files get the read-only attribute set. This doesn't happen for all files, but at least the HDV files and the GAME.GDB file are affected.

NARSpy does not correctly handle destination files that are read-only, but I'll fix that in the next version.

Could you PLEASE verify that this is the problem you are having? Check the read-only status of the GAME.GDB file and a few of the HDV files. If they are all read-only then you are most likely experiencing the same problem Killahead had.

Quick fix:
1. Right-click on the F1 2002 directory and select "Search..."
2. Press "Search" without entering a search criteria. This should match all files in the F1 2002 folder and its sub-folders.
3. Select all files (CTRL+A or use the mouse) and bring up the file properties dialog.
4. De-select the read-only flag and press "Apply".
5. Restart NARSpy and try again...

/Daniel, keeping his fingers crossed
Move over!!!
Lavvy

bug

Post by Lavvy »

I have no problems with the hdv aspect only the game gdb file , and i located all the files for the s/ware....never tried it without doing this, i mostly locate things to ensure them being correct when i instal anything!.....all HDV files and systems are working, which on the old NAR spy where not!.....but are nowL:)

its only the game gdb thingy, which as i said i already have in there so its infact not a biggy, for me anyway:).....
Lifes a bitch, then you marry one.
DanTheMan
Site administrator

Post by DanTheMan »

Just released version 0.3 of NARSpy.

Two changes:
1. No more "Access Denied" errors if the installed HDV files (or the GAME.GDB file) have the read-only flag set.
2. Made the Williams button a bit bigger since it's the HDV we are going to use in NAR.

Please report any bugs you find so that I can fix them well ahead of the first race of the season. Of course, in order to report you will actually have to install the program! :-)

People running servers should consider switching over to the Williams HDV for all the cars to verify that this utility works, that the HDV mismatch detection works as expected, and to force the users to either install this utility or learn how to change HDV files manually.

/Daniel
Move over!!!
T.Karlsson

Post by T.Karlsson »

For me it work fine no problem at all :D
The Use Of Brakes Is a Sign Of Fear
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the file and works without any problem.

Thx.

Greetz,
Ferdi_FRT
LGL

Dan my main man

Post by LGL »

its working perfect :D
Alx

Post by Alx »

NICE PIC LG!!! 8)
a little bit sideways is always quicker